Dead pedal ideas, telescoping steering column, seat incline

PostPost by: Brad B » Sat May 13, 2017 12:14 am

So, having owned my 67 Elan just long enough for three or four good blats, I would like some minor, reversible ergonomic tailoring in the cockpit.
1 I'm sure there must be some very clever owner designed dead pedals, I did search the forum and only found one photo, it looked well done, but not much design or construction detail was available. I can come up with something I'd like, but would like to see others ideas. My car has a Spider chassis, and side intrusion bars run through behind the pedals.
2 My shop manual tells how to move the steering wheel closer to the instrument panel. The forward position limit is constrained by the (rotating) column clamp, interfering with the sidewall of the footwell, long before the wheel is adjusted even close to the instrument panel. I would like to use a more compact alternative column clamp. Might be something from a 60's 70's formula ford would be compact enough to rotate without interference? I understand this is a safety issue, and a design change like this needs serious review.
3. Last, I would like the stock driver sear reclined very slightly. This will be easy to figure out I think, but one of you has probably done something very simple and elegant I might copy. Another safety issue requiring careful consideration though.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Brad Baum
Escondido CA
Brad B
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat May 13, 2017 12:36 pm

You could easily make some blocks to go under the front foot-bar of the seat and use longer bolts to secure it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Dead Pedal".

~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS, you do realise, I hope, that the standard seat has two possible positions for the front foot-bar; the forward one for short drivers, like me, and the rearward one for tall drivers.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat May 13, 2017 1:10 pm

billwill wrote:You could easily make some blocks to go under the front foot-bar of the seat and use longer bolts to secure it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Dead Pedal".

I suspect Brad means a left foot rest? A good idea, I had considered for Toad.

Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Brad B » Sat May 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks guys, a left foot rest is a good way to describe a dead pedal. In the simplest form it might be a pine block cut to fit, and firmly secured to the floor, next to the clutch pedal. The high beam switch will need relocating as well.
I'm guessing it's been done before, I'd bet every 26R, and track only car has a left foot dead pedal. It's nice to brace your self in the car with your leg, so your arms can have a relaxed grip on the wheel.
Brad B
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat May 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Junk the foot operated dip switch and move the low/high switch to the column like a modern car. Colin would have approved as you are adding lightness.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Brad B » Mon May 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks Rob, I'll try my own attempt at these three small mods when I return from an extended motorcycle and classic car touring holiday in June. I need to drop by and see your high beam switch then.
Brad B
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Tue May 23, 2017 6:32 pm

On my S1 I intend to move the high beam switch to the steering column as on the later cars and I intend to build a box section into where the lattice work is now and eliminate a bit of side panel. More room for my big feet. A "dead pedal" will be incorporated though it may just be a chunk of wood with grit tread on it and all glassed in. Whatever feels comfortable.

Need to stop working on other cars and get the S1 done before I'm too old to get a license though! :mrgreen:

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 65ginetta » Sun May 28, 2017 3:57 am

This was my solution for my S3 Coupe
Attachments
footrest.jpg and
65ginetta
Second Gear
Second Gear