Lotus Elan

Has Anyone Tried....

PostPost by: gav » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and replies so far.

I have been using a rechargeable GPS speedo that works ok when there is a signal but seems rather inconsistent in its readings and it does lose its signal every now and again - hence the extended line of enquiry.

My current favourite so far is Foxie's solution to replace the speedo with a Smiths 'Classic 140 MPH speedometer' on the basis that I can always refit the original unit if I want to. Is Smiths part number SNT5372-09CB the one that you have ? (I would paste in the catalogue photo but haven't worked out how to yet!)

I can fit a drive converter to the angle drive take off from the gearbox (early MT75) or is it better to abandon this and use the sensor on the CV bolt heads?

Thanks again so far and still interested in further thoughts

Gavin
One day I'll work out how to keep skin on my hands
gav
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:59 pm

gav wrote:<Snip>
My current favourite so far is Foxie's solution to replace the speedo with a Smiths 'Classic 140 MPH speedometer' on the basis that I can always refit the original unit if I want to. Is Smiths part number SNT5372-09CB the one that you have ? (I would paste in the catalogue photo but haven't worked out how to yet!)

I can fit a drive converter to the angle drive take off from the gearbox (early MT75) or is it better to abandon this and use the sensor on the CV bolt heads?

Gavin

I can't find the original receipt with the part no. SNT5372-09CB looks like it, but it does not seem to have the Lotus specific fuel and indicator warning lights. If I remember correctly, I talked to Caerbont directly when I was ordering, and they did supply the speedo with the warning lights exactly similar to the original speedo.

Locating the pick-up on the diff is so accessible and simple. (You need to set the clearance with a feeler gauge) I made up a bracket and simply glued it to the wing flange on the diff, with the pick-up horizontally in line with the CV centre line.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Aha - Progress

Just had the gearbox refurbed (MT75) and they have replaced the speed sensor unit to provide a signal to the speedo - AND - I have just ordered the new speedo which is going to have the indicator as Foxie (thanks for the heads up) and the right type face.

Hopefully I can get the two to talk to each other

Thanks for the info to date. Ill let you know whether it eventually works.

Gavin
One day I'll work out how to keep skin on my hands
gav
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: