Buick/Olds/Rover 3.5 V8

PostPost by: baileyman » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:12 pm

If the v8 is 315 lb then that's another 50 lb up front? Could work. I'd be much more concerned that it may have to shift forward to fit a wider part of the forked frame. An alternative project would be to put the v8 in a Europa, where there is plenty of room, and precedence. I have a v8 that I'll cast an eye on for fit. Never thought about that before. John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 96 Gears » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:18 pm

Thanks very much John!
Over the years I've dreamed of putting the 3.5 V8 into a Europa, but I've never found the right candidate....
In the meantime, I found this beautiful all original +2 body. Unfortunately it's nothing but the bare body shell!
I've already heard back from Spyder in England. They will NOT modify their chassis in order for me to fit the 3.5 V8. So I'm on my own if I want to attempt to notch the frame rails!
At this point, I'm still just doing the research to determine if this is a viable project?
Best regards,
Bill Geary
96 Gears
New-tral

PostPost by: JohnMorin » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:28 am

There is a company in England that puts Jaguar V6s into MX-5/Miatas. It's said to not spoil the handling. Given that the Mazda's heritage is the Elan this may be the way to go. Apparently the engine weighs about 230 lbs.

Have a look at Rocketeer

https://www.rocketeercars.com

John
1969 Elan S4 FHC, purchased in 1978, now with a big valve engine.
JohnMorin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 2mAn » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:56 pm

I'm all for building your dream/ forever car and you started similarly, but different from me. I picked up a frame first and plan to 'drape it' later once the frame is a roller with a drivetrain installed...

That said, I also want to discourage you from the V8 path, or any V-motor due to simply not having the space. The pic of the motor with no body should give you an idea as to how tight the space is.

Whatever path you choose, I will be here watching. I am also a fan of the Aluminum V8, but dont think the Elan (+2 or otherwise) is the right destination for it.
-Simon
2mAn
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 96 Gears » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:11 pm

Thanks for your reply...
I'm still awaiting delivery of my complete rolling +2 chassis. It's looking less and less likely that the 3.5 V8 will fit, though.
What are your thoughts on using the 2 liter inline 6 from a Triumph GT6?...
Cheers,
Bill
96 Gears
New-tral

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:23 pm

There was someone who did that and posted on here. I think it required quite a lot of modifications, for a not very light or powerful engine....
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:38 pm

96 Gears wrote:Thanks for your reply...
I'm still awaiting delivery of my complete rolling +2 chassis. It's looking less and less likely that the 3.5 V8 will fit, though.
Cheers,
Bill

Waaaayyy too long and heavy. If you must swap in another engine, the 2L Zetec is the preferred choice. 150 hp and lots of torque stock. Will also make as much power as your wallet can stand.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:56 pm

I gazed a bit at my Rover v8. I can't see that happening in a Plus 2. My imagination could be faulty, though.

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sadbrewer » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:17 am

96 Gears wrote:Thanks for your reply...

Cheers,
Bill

Waste of time Bill.. adding weight with an engine that, despite being a 6 cylinder, produces less power than a standard 1600 Twin Cam, never mind a big valve Sprint engine.
Sadbrewer
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: