Cosworth YB Turbo Into Elan

PostPost by: stevebroad » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:16 pm

It has been a while, but I didn't realise just how long!

Life has a habit of getting in the way of plans, but I am still here and still working on it!

Progress, in no particular order:

Engine is in
Elite 6 speed sequential is in (needed to shorten bellhousing and make a remote gear lever)
Cosworth 71/2" diff with Quaife ATB fitted
Rear drivetrain parts sourced or made and about to be installed. Using lightened Cosworth style CV joints, bespoke driveshafts (equal langth), aluminium bearing housing fitted to bespoke vertical link. The only original part left are the A-frames (and they have been modified - see below).
Fully adjustable (on the car) front top wishbones about to be made to my spec (all other adjustable wishbones that I have found have to be removed to adjust them and that is a pain).
Vertical links changed for Canley Classic rod end type (in place of trunnion). These links also allow caster adjustment without putting stress on trunnion or bottom wishbone bushes.
Carbon fibre bonnet, boot, dash, doors, side panels and hood tray made.
Rear bottom wishbones now adjustable for toe in/out (top wishbones already adjustable.
Front strut brace fitted.
Front and rear anti-roll bars on order.
Fuel delivery system sorted (twin Bosch 044s)

Still dithering over wheel sizes, battery location and whether to permanently fix hardtop to aid stiffness.

I will sort out some photos later.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Having trouble uploading photos. Will try again later today.
Last edited by stevebroad on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:11 pm

looking forward to seeing the photos.....
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:13 am

A selection from hundreds of photos, in no particular order.

Not me :-)
Sensors for speedo, launch and traction control. Pair on front wheels as well. Notice spacer to allow equal length driveshafts and lightened CVs
Same length evens out torque stresses
Removed around 0.75kg from each
CV joints changed since photo taken for lightweight versions and wishbone now has rod end for adjustability.
Hopefully this will fit once everything is fitted :-)
Also allows for the repositioning of calipers to front of disc to aid weight rdistribution
Sensor moved to avoid more chassis work
From Canley Classics
JUST fits (with 32mm removed from length of bellhousing)
Old photo. Engine first fit using original mounts. Since then, new mountsalong with suspension and steering mods
Not sure about this

Many more photos if anyone is interested
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:04 am

We appreciate the updates. If there are many more photos, how about a link to where they are?

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bob » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:39 am

I am going the other way I have just removed a BDP 235 BHP engine from my S2. 235 made a very lively car if you have 400BHP you will have more than a hand full
Bob
S4, S2 and a +2 Zetec on the way
Bob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:46 pm

The engine is spec'd to 520 with the option of around 610 using C16 fuel, so it should be interesting and a little quicker than Jay Leno's quickest Elan ever project :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mark B » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Good luck with the (interesting) project Steve, fair play to you for doing it although I think you're completely insane... :shock:
I had a 450bhp 3 door sierra cosworth a few years back which was like a 4 wheeled missile, in an elan it's borderline dangerous! Are you sure the powertrain/chassis are upto it? I broke a rear diff on a hot day with plenty of grip once, I guess you're running launch/traction control etc from the sensors on the cv's, but I wouldn't expect the chassis and components to be up to handling the torque?

Love to see it finished anyway,
Cheers,
Mark.
Mark B
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Steve,

As a Garrett (Honeywell Turbo Systems) employee for 15 years (left 3 years ago) I've been involved in many Turbo projects and have had 4 turbo cars I've built or modified in the past. I'm interested in what the specs are on your turbo. An excellent internet source is: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/home

Turbos have come along way and this site will help tremendously in understanding what you can expect from your setup. Maybe a different turbo will give you the same power with better drivabilty.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:52 am

Mark B wrote:Good luck with the (interesting) project Steve, fair play to you for doing it although I think you're completely insane... :shock:
I had a 450bhp 3 door sierra cosworth a few years back which was like a 4 wheeled missile, in an elan it's borderline dangerous! Are you sure the powertrain/chassis are upto it? I broke a rear diff on a hot day with plenty of grip once, I guess you're running launch/traction control etc from the sensors on the cv's, but I wouldn't expect the chassis and components to be up to handling the torque?

Love to see it finished anyway,
Cheers,
Mark.

Hi Mark

I am stripping an RS Sapphire with similar power at the moment and, as you say, it was pretty quick so the Elan should be scary :-)

Chassis has been extensively modifed and strenthened beyond 26R spec. Builder (Graham Hatherway Racing) certified it to 600bhp. Diff is 71/2" Cosworth with Quaife ATB. Clutch (twin plate Alcon), gearbox (Elite 300IL 6 speed sequential), prop and equal driveshafts all spec'd to 650bhp. An additional safety margin is that the car will weigh less than 650Kg (hopefully) so the stresses are far less when compared to the Sierra.

Correct, launch and traction control through a Life F88 ECU.

In the end, however, we won't know for sure until we try it out. I have use of a disused airstrip so I can test in private without getting embarrassed :-)

Regards

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:16 pm

Tahoe wrote:Steve,

As a Garrett (Honeywell Turbo Systems) employee for 15 years (left 3 years ago) I've been involved in many Turbo projects and have had 4 turbo cars I've built or modified in the past. I'm interested in what the specs are on your turbo. An excellent internet source is: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/home

Turbos have come along way and this site will help tremendously in understanding what you can expect from your setup. Maybe a different turbo will give you the same power with better drivabilty.

Hi Russ

The turbo was built around 5 years ago, so is quite old development wise. Can't find exact spec at the moment (I will post when I find them), but it is based on the RS500 T4 with 360 degree roller bearings and a few other 'tweaks'. I have been discussing possible upgrades with my engine builder with the view of achieving less lag and, as you say, better drivability.

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Steve,

Your turbo may be spot on even if done 5 years ago. You can always upgrade, but the differences may not be worth the time and effort. Still the Garrett website is fun to look through and play with.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus14S2 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Would someone please tell me what is a 'baby' Elan? I hear this on occasion, but I'm not sure what people are talking about.
Lotus14S2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:46 pm

Don't go there!

Do a search!
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Lotus14S2 wrote:Would someone please tell me what is a 'baby' Elan? I hear this on occasion, but I'm not sure what people are talking about.

The original 2 seater Elan, as opposed to the Plus 2.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: