Lotus Elan

Repro Aluminum Gas Tanks

PostPost by: sveris » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:30 am

The prototype tanks is supposed to be finished later today or Thursday, but I'll be out of town for a few days. I'll try to have pictures posted for everyone next week, just as soon as I return.

Kind regards,

Steve
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Well, I got a look at the first Elan tank yesterday tack welded for my approval - and everything looks fine. All the measurements were acceptable, the internal baffling and supports are in place, and the fabricator will use threaded inserts in place of the mounting studs. No increase using the inserts, so the firm price will be $365.00 plus shipping.

The welder will finish it this weekend, and I will photograph it and post the pictures as soon as possible; hopefully on Sunday. Thanks to everyone for being patient.

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Thu May 05, 2011 10:55 pm

Guys,

The fabricator has been buried lately with regular production work. They swear I will have the completed prototype in hand next Monday, May 9th. Sorry about the delay with the pictures.

After I approve that one, the shop claims it will be full speed ahead. Please stay tuned.

Kind regards,

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Wed May 11, 2011 11:22 pm

Well, the prototype is finally done! This one has three (3) 3/8"-16 threaded inserts for mounting on the bottom, but the fabricator still may substitute aluminum studs for the inserts. And, I would like to see a thinner wall thickness for the filler neck tube. No point in adding unnecessary weight!

Unfortunately, I just realized that I have no idea how to post images in this message. And I can't seem to find any directions on the forum regarding how to do it. My apologies. I will keep searching.

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Wed May 11, 2011 11:31 pm

sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Thu May 12, 2011 12:53 am

I should be able to link to five (5) pictures of the tank soon. I tried uploading them to one site and then linking to them, but it didn't work. But I did another test at the http://www.lotus-europa.com website and that one will do the job! It should be just a day or so to get them on line there, so thanks for your patience. In the mean time, I've attached the images as files.

Steve in Ohio
Attachments
Elan Tank Bottom.jpg and
Elan Tank 4.jpg and
Elan Tank 3.jpg and
Elan Tank 2.jpg and
Elan Tank 1.jpg and
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Thu May 12, 2011 12:54 am

Success!

Kind regards,

Steve in Ohio [still Forum challenged]
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:20 pm

The fabricator just finished a pair of Peerless GT tanks, and a pair of custom Series 1 Europa tanks this week. The next batch will be 6 standard Lotus Elan tanks, and the shop plans to complete at least 2 tanks per week.

Cheers,

Steve
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:59 am

Steve - whilst I admire your tenacity in following through on the production of these tanks they do not look the right shape and are not a patch on the Andy Wiltshire ones.

No offence intended.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:12 pm

None taken. Andy's copies are very true to the original, and really more like works of art - compared to mine which are simple reproductions of the steel OEM tank in a different base metal.

These are simply meant to be functional, more affordable replacement tanks for the North American market. My tank costs 195 USD less than Andy's [about 119 GBP], and North American buyers save money on the shipping, too.

If I had the extra funds ......

Cheers,

Steve
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Are any of you Plus 2 owners in need of a replacement tank? Just wondering.

Steve
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:30 pm

Anyone else need a tank? Based on demand, it looks like I will only have one additional batch fabricated this year. The shop will probably start on them by the end of July. Just an FYI to those who might be considering tank replacement.

Regards,

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:25 am

Just wanted to give props to Steve! Got my new tank and it looks great. Won't install it untill Fall when the snow starts to fall, but I can say it looks as good as I had hoped. Yes, it's not a work of art but it still looks real good, and since it's all covered up, who cares. My tank keeps shedding little rust flakes that the filter catches which means it's on it's last legs. I'll will keep the original one, but it's nice knowing the Aluminum one will be lighter and won't rust.

Anyone thinking of getting one from Steve should feel confident on ordering one before he doesn't offer one again.

,Russ
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:32 pm

Russ,

Thanks for the kind words. Rust in the fuel is not a good thing, but nothing lasts forever; especially old gas tanks. :lol: Just remember to keep fresh gas in the new aluminum tank. Or use fuel stabilizer when the Elan is in storage.

Let us know how the install goes this fall.

Cheers,

Steve
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: [email protected] » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:49 am

Hello Steve, do you still have the Europa S2 aluminum fuel tanks for sale? Please email me at [email protected],
Many thanks, Bob Tremble 705 -427-1130
[email protected]
New-tral

PreviousNext

Total Online: