Lotus Elan

Latest Elan Parts List _ ALL PARTS ARE SOLD! Thank you.

PostPost by: elanern » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Forum members,

I have attached the latest list of my Elan parts. As you can see, the list has shrunk somewhat since I first posted it late last year. Thanks to all who have shown interest.

I would like to clear out what remains in order to return my basement to a less-cluttered state. Whatever I cannot sell in the next couple of weeks will go on eBay. Let's talk.

I will also be selling my Elan in the next couple of weeks. Once the weather here clears up and I can do some final sorting I will put it up for sale.

Again, thanks for your interest.

Warm regards,
Attachments
Lotus Parts4.xls
(24 KiB) Downloaded 990 times
Last edited by elanern on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ernie
Florida, USA
elanern
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi Ernie,

I sent a PM regarding a few things. I hope you got it. I don't see it in my Sent folder, but it is in my Outbox.

Bob
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanern » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi, Bob, just PMed you back. I believe you won't see a message in your sent folder until I open it. Until then it stays in the outbox. Ernie
Ernie
Florida, USA
elanern
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks Ernie. I've read your PM. No hurry.

Bob
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Salut Ernie

PM sent.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: manykl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Hello Ernie,
PM sent.
Cheers,
Leigh
manykl
New-tral

PostPost by: brandonsan » Thu May 30, 2013 10:11 pm

I sent a email inquiring about the S4 window assembly. Please send a email if you didn't receive it to: Brandonsan71 at gmail

Thanks,
Brandon S.
brandonsan
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:31 pm

PM sent, Ernie.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
36/5727 pre airflow coupe
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:03 am

Hi Ernie,
Sent You PM..

Gino
Milano
Italy
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupè
1967 Elan S3 Coupè
1968 Elan S4 Coupè
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1961 Ford Anglia
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: David tye » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:34 am

Ernie, is it a consideration that you act as an agent for people wishing to sell parts. Your quality of product and service and method of pricing is just great.
I've got bits of 2 Elan plus 2s that I could wreck or break as some would say, but I just don't have the drive or need to do it. I'm like everyone else in that I hang back in the hope that someone will make an offer. By contrast you've layed it out and put a price on it. Can't encourage you enough.
Alternately is it a format that should be adopted by this forum?
Regards,
David
David tye
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:12 am

Ernie, still there?

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
36/5727 pre airflow coupe
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanern » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Greg, David, et al,

Still here, but it's difficult to get to the forum when your electricity is out. The bad weather that passed through St. Louis Friday evening wiped out our electricity at about 8:30 pm, and we had some damage to our home (hole in the roof over the master bathroom from a falling tree and some water damage). We are all fine, the electricity came back on yesterday around noon, and we are working with the insurance company to get the house repaired and trees removed.

For those who been asking about the remaining Lotus parts, I still have some parts left, but most have been sold, thanks to the interest of so many forum members. I plan to update the list as soon as things get somewhat back to normal here.

Greg - I have not seen a PM. Try my email - [email protected].

David - Thanks for the kind words. I think I was blessed by finding a stash of parts that for the most part were in good enough shape to sell for a reasonable price. And evidently there is a good market for good, fairly-priced, Elan parts among Lotus lovers. Although this has been fun, and brought back some fond memories of the time I spent as parts manager for the St. Louis Lotus dealership in the '74-'76 time frame, I think I will take a break once all of my parts are gone.

For anyone who might be in a position to sell parts here, or elsewhere, here are some lessons I have learned:
- You absolutely need to inventory - correctly - the parts you have. Unless you know what you have it is hard to list and price them. I was lucky, I recognized almost all of the parts I had and did not have to do much detective work.
- Once inventoried you have to go on the quest to set the price. I looked at Bean, RD, overseas (to the US) suppliers, eBay, and wherever else Google led me. If my parts were new, I discounted the average of the list prices of the new parts by an amount I felt was fair to both the buyer and myself. If my parts were used, I used the new price and discounted it by at least 50%.
- You need to take pictures of everything and forward them to the interested parties so they can determine they are the parts they are looking for. I used a point and shoot digital camera, and often wished I had a more professional setup. Then you have to find a format so that you can forward the photos. I chose to use PowerPoint, there is probably an easier way than the way I did it.
- You have to know the size and weight of the parts being shipped. This leads to determining the size and strength of the box, type of packing material, tape used, etc. For some shipments I had the UPS Store box them up. They have the material and experience to package things so they arrive safely. For shipments I packed I used boxes laying around the house for some, and bought new boxes and packing material for many others. I always tried to go heavy with packing material so that parts were not damaged in shipment.
- You need to know the best shipping method, which depends on the size, weight and destination of the package. The US Postal Service is good for smaller, less heavy items. It was also my preferred method for shipping items overseas - if they meet the limitations set by the USPS. And the limitations vary by country. UPS can be very expensive when shipping overseas. But I did use UPS for a couple of heavier/bulkier items that were shipped overseas. Shipping stateside I mostly used UPS since it was actually cheaper than USPS for certain items due to size or weight.
- PayPal works well, although service charges added up to a sizable amount. Many people agreed to "gift" the funds which saved on service charges. I chose not to mark up prices to reflect PayPal service charges. I would do the same next time.
- Always be ready to accept that a part did not work out and be ready to refund the money paid. I also refunded some funds when shipping came out less than my estimate. Always try to keep the "customer" happy.

Stay tuned for another updated list of parts. And "thank you" to all who have bought parts from me. I must say that when most of the parts were shipped I felt a little bit melancholy, Lotus is a very special marque, and the parts that make up the little cars have a certain beauty that I always enjoy looking at.

Ernie
Ernie
Florida, USA
elanern
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mfm92154 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:19 pm

Intersted in the body, roll bar, transmission and Minilites. Please let me know if any of these items remain. Thank you.

Mark Marshall [email protected]
mfm92154
New-tral

PostPost by: elanern » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Mark, PM sent. Thanks. Ernie
Ernie
Florida, USA
elanern
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: David tye » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:31 am

Do you still have the engine and diff housing?
Regards,
David
David tye
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: