Lotus Elan

Reproduction Sparto Side Repeater Lenses

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Some might recall that Alfalofa (RIP) posted details of a company in the US that could replicate lenses having done just that for an old Alfa Romeo he needed lenses for. As I had a pair of extremely rare new in the box side repeaters I decided to follow this up. The process means that any blemishes whatsoever would show in the new castings so this was extremely fortuitous as there cannot be many NOS ones about. The company concerned do this for a living and are very good at what they do.

It has been a tortuous 12 months getting these made (on both sides of the pond with serious health issues and 3 family bereavements getting in the way). It has also been a very costly affair to produce an extremely limited number of lenses and even at the asking price I will probably be seriously out of pocket. (So those of you that don't see the point please keep your sniping to yourselves, perhaps first ask yourselves how many original parts have you had replicated out of your own pocket?).

There may be some duplication in the following text as I had started drafting an eBay advert but the fees involved would seriously erode the funds I need just to break even so I'm offering them here to start and hopefully end!

On offer then are pairs of NEW perfect replicas of the Sparto Side Repeater Lenses as were used on the Lotus Elan, Elan Sprint and indeed the Lotus Europa. These are nigh on impossible to find these days (in any sort of useable condition anyway) and are such a prominent item that if they aren’t correct or are damaged it is very noticeable to the well informed enthusiast.

I've added a load of photographs which should clearly show that these are the correct profile ones for Elans and not the aftermarket ones that are available cheaply in many accessories shops.

I was extremely fortunate to have come across some still boxed NOS complete Sparto lamp units a few years back and it is from one of these lenses that a mould has been taken to produce these copies – they are extremely good copies and without putting a magnifying glass on them are, as near to perfect as you are ever likely to get.

These are the culmination of an expensive project that has taken almost 12 months to come to fruition. Due to the expense involved (2 sets of moulds, postage back and forth across the pond with samples, customs fees etc etc) and the real possibility I could find demand limited I have ordered only a VERY small number and as such they need to realise a decent price in order for me to cover my not inconsiderable costs (sorry!). These will not be available for long and it seems highly unlikely that more of them will ever be ordered. This will likely be your only opportunity for you to purchase for your top quality/concours car the correct style lenses. This being the case you might even want to consider ordering more as spares to cover the future eventualities of buying another car with incorrect lenses or even damage/loss of your existing ones. You may even want to consider putting your originals in a safe place and run your car with these fitted instead.

At this stage I'm only selling in pairs of lenses as there is no guarantee that the colour will match ones that may have been on your car for 30 odd years and are sun damaged.

I will supply these to Domestic and International buyers but will only post on a Tracked & Signed/Insured service.

£47.50 a pair
(plus p&p plus 3.5% for PayPal payments but happy to accept domestic bank transfers without additional charge

image.jpeg and

image.jpeg and

image.jpeg and
Attachments
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
Last edited by elanfan1 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:30 pm

I'll have a pair please!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lseven » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:23 pm

Please put me down for a set. Barry
Lseven
New-tral

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:29 pm

Good on you! They look very good in the photos.

I think that you will find a healthy demand and will soon have the confidence and finances to order a larger batch.

Originality isnt really my thing although i must visit mine and see what ones if any it has fitted but I do appreciate the efforts that people like yourself will go to to recreate supply.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:36 pm

Chancer wrote:Good on you! They look very good in the photos.

I think that you will find a healthy demand and will soon have the confidence and finances to order a larger batch.

Originality isnt really my thing although i must visit mine and see what ones if any it has fitted but I do appreciate the efforts that people like yourself will go to to recreate supply.

Very nice of you to say so - thanks (genuinely these were very expensive in my eyes and I just cannot imagine there'd be sufficient demand to warrant further production). Anyway I appear to have sold a few sets within the first few hours - hopefully that's a good sign.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Verve » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:41 am

Hi Steve ,

I`ll have a pair please ... are you going to the Autumn Classic at Castle Combe , a week on Saturday ?

My Elan will be there : )

Cheers ,

Paul .
Verve
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:51 am

I'll have a pair as well please. I'll send a PM in a minute.

Thanks!
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:24 am

As the finishing touch to a 20,000 pound restoration they are exceedingly cheap ! I think you will find a strong demand. I would get some.... except my Elan never had them !

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:05 am

rgh0 wrote:As the finishing touch to a 20,000 pound restoration they are exceedingly cheap ! I think you will find a strong demand. I would get some.... except my Elan never had them !

cheers
Rohan

Cheers Rohan,

Fit 'em anyway - you know you want to!
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:13 am

...........................are the ally frames also being made?? recently a pair sold for 255$ plus 50 or so postage (with the frames) 36 4982 sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:22 am

el-saturn wrote:...........................are the ally frames also being made?? recently a pair sold for 255$ plus 50 or so postage (with the frames) 36 4982 sandy

Only if you are making them!
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:30 pm

Steve, do your reproduction Sparto lenses fit the Lucas bases?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:52 pm

phil: they don't fit. i posted a picture of both a few weeks ago - the spartos weigh half! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:38 pm

pharriso wrote:Steve, do your reproduction Sparto lenses fit the Lucas bases?

Very much doubt it I'm sure Ithey are a completely different size and shape.
Last edited by elanfan1 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Steve,

I think you have done a super job of having a rare component re manufactured.

My car never had them, otherwIse I would buy them in a flash.

It's people like you putting the effort in that keeps our cars on the road.

Great effort.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: