Lotus Elan

Pair of Complete Sparto Side Repeaters *SOLD*

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:50 pm

In order to offset the costs I've incurred of having the reproduction lenses made I'm selling a pair of complete units I've made up. These comprise a pair of my new perfect lenses, 4 x new brass screws, a pair of used aluminium bezels which I've cleaned up with 1200 paper and now look pretty good. They have the original thin rubber bases and metal bulb holders within - these have light oxidation on them but are perfectly serviceable as they are. Complete with original wiring.

I'm inviting offers by PM in excess of £190 (as per rules - sorry but I am trying to make my money back!).

I'll try to add some better photos later
image.jpeg and
Last edited by elanfan1 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:32 am

Hmmm it would seem someone's a step ahead of you:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/33170706 ... ue&ff13=80

Not quite sure why the link is so long but search on Lotus Elan S4/Sprint (70s) front wing side repeaters (Sparto).
I remember buying a pair of these from Halfords for about a tenner some years ago to replace the Carello ones on my Jensen.

Nigel F.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:38 am

..the ones you're pointing at on ebay are repros AND NO Ally BEZEL!! that makes the real thing at least 10 times MORE expensive (even 20x) !! cheers sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:52 am

nigelrbfurness wrote:Hmmm it would seem someone's a step ahead of you:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/33170706 ... ue&ff13=80

Be careful pointing that out because there not what you think they are, there not the 'Correct' shape and its been covered so many times before people get very cranky over it.

If you want the wrong repeaters just buy genuine lucas ones as found on the later cars (think there still in production) but if you want identical to OE Elan repeaters as made in 1970 there imposable to get now and command a premium hence the price.

elanfan1 is catering to the Purist.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:58 am

Sandy, if you read the original post carefully you will see he's only having the lenses made, not the bezels. And "had them made" in my book is a synonym for "reproductions". It was that to which I was referring, not the cost of the original items he's selling, which might well be worth what he's asking for them. In short, someone's already done it.

Cheers!
Nigel F.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:06 pm

Funny thing is the ebay add above even shows you a picture of how different the lenses are to an Original. He says 'there the Closest he's found' well there the standard still in production type with the sharp angles, elanfan1 had the correct lenses made at great expense. Lets not even mention the ebay ones have plastic bases and no bezel.

nigelrbfurness, your messing up elanfan1's for sale thread, please do a search there is so much about this subject, i made the same mistake when first looked for a base. Trust me the Elanfan lenses are a very good copy of the original and he's selling them in this case with genuine base and bezel (i've seen them go with original lenses for over £400 for a pair so £200 is not a bad price)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:12 pm

Chris,

Thank you for the support.

Nigel and others - the units linked above at £13.50 are available in Maccess for if I recall correctly under £2.00 each, so that chap is making perhaps a tenner on each set he sells. The bases are hard plastic with a great hole in the middle for wiring to pass through, the screws are self tappers, the lenses are similar looking but infact completely wrong. If you can try to learn the differences it will help stop folk being misled by links being posted to incorrect items. (If you'd like to pm me with your email address I'll send you a side by side photo).

There's another pair on eBay too at a £90 start price which are claimed to have come off a car but I'll tell you what they didn't go on the car like that.bthey too appear to have the ridged lens, bezels appear original but look marked to me and at least one of the bases looks to be the thick plastic type.

If originality is not your thing that's absolutely fine carry on and get the incorrect ones (at over market price!) or get ones that are claimed to be right but aren't, that's fine too.

If you want spot on correct ones they need to be like the ones in my photo.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:28 pm

Just to let you know I've just accepted an offer (and they've been paid for already - ain't PayPal a wonderful thing!). I'll not reveal the buyers identity but the figure was considerably in excess of the offers over price.

Guess you've got to be quick when rare items come up!

Thanks for all the interest.

Cheers
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:24 pm

are these the real deal: i payed a lot for these!! sandy
Attachments
dsc01443.jpg and
dsc01442.jpg and
dsc01441.jpg and
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:57 pm

Hard to make out without absolute certainty because of the quality of the photos but if you paid a lot for those then I'm afraid to tell you they aren't correct. They look to have a central ridge which correct Spartos don't. the screws are wrong and the bases look a little on the thick side.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:05 pm

.............please take look at the picures I added: are these the original part??? tx sandy :?:
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:01 pm

Unfortunately they do look like the ebay type with a bezel added.

This may just confuse further but if you look at these pictures (courtesy of AHM, hope you don't mind they where the first to pop up in google and not sure which thread they came from) you can see the bottom lens in the top picture and the bottom lamp assembly in the bottom picture is the correct shape and has the correct bulb holder (ignore the fact its clear, its a inertia lamp but there identical apart from the amber colour), if you look at the top lens (top pic) you can see the lens is more angled with a ridge down the center (the original lens looks almost smoothed out) then bottom pic top assembly has a plastic bulb holder (white in this case but normally there black) one more distinguishing feature is the original had four screws (2 to fix the Bulb holder to the body and 2 to fix the Lens to the bulb holder) where the later type has two (the two lens screws fix the lens and the bulb holder to the car)

Whats odd with your lamps is the lens appears to be the later type but the bezel seems to be the correct one? so you could well have either type bulb holder.

Hope it helps and i haven't added confusion.
Attachments
dsc_0001.jpg and
sparto.jpg and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:19 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Just to let you know I've just accepted an offer (and they've been paid for already - ain't PayPal a wonderful thing!). I'll not reveal the buyers identity but the figure was considerably in excess of the offers over price.

Guess you've got to be quick when rare items come up!

Thanks for all the interest.

Cheers

Geez they didn't mess about. :shock:
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:56 am

I wonder if you can just sand and polish off the ridge on the 'other' ones to make them look more like the original :D

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:18 pm

I doubt the plastic is thick enough but even if you could the 'peak' in the pattern on the side would still be incorrect. Also suspect it would be many many hours work, so why would you bother when you can buy exact copies for under £24 each?
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: