Lotus Elan

**SOLD***S3 window frames and glass

PostPost by: jabingb » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:46 pm

I'm about to bring down a pair of S3 windows frames including their glass from the shelf. I acquired these from an S3 rollover that Don Gorey and I bought in Chicago in the mid 70s. Don expertly grafted the right front tower from that frame onto my 26R frame which had been pranged by the po, exhibiting a nasty repair which I believe was done in situ! Anyway, I've had these frames since then, keeping them for the eventuality that one day I might need them. At this point in Elan ownership, I don't think I will. I don't recall if one of them is scraped from the rollover but I will examine them today in more detail and post pictures.

In the mean time, these pixs of Don and the tower repair are in his memory!
Jerry

goreys-skill-lw-chassis-d3-74.jpg and

rt-tower-2.jpg and

rt-tower-3.jpg and

gorey-demolition-of-elan-d12-73.jpg and

I hadn't looked at these in many years so there was a lot of dust and grime and interestingly red over-spray on one of them, not sure where that came from. I've got a bunch of pictures to give you an idea but will send more in depth ones to anyone who asks, just not on this forum, prefer it to be to your e-mail. I'll try to describe them as well as possible but let me categorize them as being in fair to good condition, leaning toward the fair assessment. Definitely not show quality but can probably be brought up to that standard with effort. The chrome is fairly good with mild pitting, but the major issue is the straightness of the channels, not that apparent in the pictures, there's one small bend in one down near the top of the door. I will endeavor to put a straight edge next to the areas in question as requested. The glass is in good shape, no obvious defects. The wire on one is good and the other needs replacement, what a surprise. The nylon/plastic pulleys seem to be OK. The wipers/anti-rattle brushes at the window apertures need replacement. There is rust in some areas of the frame but nothing terribly significant. I'm hesitant to attempt any correction of the issues as I'm not sure what level of perfection might be desired by the purchaser.

img_3402.jpg and

img_3407.jpg and

img_3403.jpg and

img_3406.jpg and

img_3409.jpg and

img_3410.jpg and
Last edited by jabingb on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:49 pm

Thanks for posting, Jerry,

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
36/5727 pre airflow coupe
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:04 pm

..............it wasn't all that obvious, but are these frame for sale???? may i buy the lh (US drivers' side) please?? thanks sandy 36 4982
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jabingb » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:34 pm

Sandy, yes, they are for sale. I have another potential buyer that got here first with a pm, so let's see what he decides to do and or needs. I'm going to take some detailed pictures of areas that show issues, one happens to be on the leading edge of the left door, right where the frame comes out of the top of the door fiberglass, stay tuned.

el-saturn wrote:..............it wasn't all that obvious, but are these frame for sale???? may i buy the lh (US drivers' side) please?? thanks sandy 36 4982
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gav » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:25 pm

More P M s to consider

Thanks
Gavin
One day I'll work out how to keep skin on my hands
gav
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:57 am

Jerry, Love the pics!!! To see Don in those overalls was great! Many of the people on this forum never got a chance to know Don, but if they are reading this, as you know, he was one of the early leaders in the Lotus Corps Sports Car Club, and has helped more Elan owners than I could count, ................including me, many times!

He really did a great job on your upright! God that was a mess.

Thank you again,
Frank
Famous Frank

66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
66 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gino1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi jerome. ..just to let you know that i finally
recived the door frames back in Italy in great condition after two UPS deliveries and a recent flight i made back from the US..
The packaging was exceptional ..a proper wooden frame covered in cardboard..
Thanks again Jerome
Gino
Milano
Italy
Attachments
20160525_001021.jpg and
1965 Elan S2 Roadster
1965 Elan S3 Coupè
1967 Elan S3 Coupè
1968 Elan S4 Coupè
1969 Elan +2
1968 Lotus Seven S3
1961 Ford Anglia
gino1
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jabingb » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:40 am

Gino, I'm pleased to hear that the frames are finally in your possession and appreciate your kind words regarding the packaging. Jerry
jabingb
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: