Lotus Elan

Sold - Philips Turnolok for sale

PostPost by: Bart Jan van der Ceelen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:15 pm

I am selling another period correct Philips Turnolok. Again, there is some chrome pitting, staining, ......patina.

The antenna cable was broken inside the casing, resoldered and now reception is fine again. FM works, Middle- and Long-wave iffy but might be due to antenna, anyway FM is what matters most in my opinion.

New replacement light bulb fitted. Please note that the rubber rings on the on/off and tuning control buttons were fully brittle and crumbled. Not sure if these are still available somewhere but I think an o-ring of correct diameter may look reasonably well as a replacement.

My total cost is about 40 euros and I will sell it for exactly that amount. Shipping cost (from Netherlands) to be added. The shipping cost appears to be somewhere from 10 euro (not insured, no track&trace) to 15 euro (insured + trac&trace)

I want to sell to someone with long history of participation and contributions to this great forum who will actually use it him/herself. I already have a name from my previous sale last year but if you're interested let me know, there may be more in the future.
Attachments
turnolock.jpg and
Last edited by Bart Jan van der Ceelen on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bart Jan van der Ceelen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Hello Bart,
Thankyou for letting me know. I would certainly like to buy that radio from you. I was hoping you would be successful in finding another one. Please let me know how to pay for it. Paypal is convenient for me or what else. I can assure you that I will not be selling it on.
Regards
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Bart Jan van der Ceelen wrote:I am selling another period correct Philips Turnolok. Again, there is some chrome pitting, staining, ......patina.

The antenna cable was broken inside the casing, resoldered and now reception is fine again. FM works, Middle- and Long-wave iffy but might be due to antenna, anyway FM is what matters most in my opinion.

Hi Bart,

as a matter of curiosity, what is the length of this Turnolock ? Is it longer than the non FM 22RN314 ?

thank you,

Nic
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bart Jan van der Ceelen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:37 pm

Nic,

The width is 175 mm. Height is 40 mm. Depth depends a bit on how you measure. From the inside of the face plate to the back of the radio is about 100 mm. If you add a bit of space for all the cables (power, antenna, speakers) total depth should be around 110 mm. This type of Turnolock fitted easily into my previous +2 as well as my current Sprint (both from 1971).

Bart
Bart Jan van der Ceelen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:15 am

Bart Jan van der Ceelen wrote:Nic,

The width is 175 mm. Height is 40 mm. Depth depends a bit on how you measure. From the inside of the face plate to the back of the radio is about 100 mm. If you add a bit of space for all the cables (power, antenna, speakers) total depth should be around 110 mm. This type of Turnolock fitted easily into my previous +2 as well as my current Sprint (both from 1971).

Bart

Hi Bart,

thank you for the information. My non FM Turnolock is a bit shorter, about 80mm face to rear (plus as you said cable and plug).

Nic
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bart Jan van der Ceelen » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:26 am

To all who have sent PM's: I will keep on looking and post here if I find another one.

Cheers,

Bart
Bart Jan van der Ceelen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:02 pm

dscf0478.jpg and
Hi Bart,
Thank you for the radio which is now installed and working in my Elan.
I spent a little time with fine metal polish and small wooden scrapers carved to a chisel edge. I used clock repairers pegwood sticks because I have them, but cocktail sticks or similar would be suitable.
Nearly all the `patina` came off !! and the front panel is excellent.
O rings on the knobs as you suggested are just right.
The loudspeaker plug for this unit is unobtainable ( except for the one on ebay just now) but I found a suitable round crimp tag which fits snugly into the sockets.
(RS components, http://rswww.com, Part no. 842-028. )
There has been some delay as I have also run a new aerial lead through to the boot and the temperature in the garage has rarely been above two degrees lately.
All wavebands work well and I get no ignition interference on the FM band except when the signal is weak.
This Turnolock unit is smaller than the standard radio slot in the dash board, so I made a blanking plate which you will see as a black surround to the front panel.
I am very pleased with the result and thank you again.
Regards
Eric in Burnley
S3SE DHC
Attachments
dscf0477.jpg and
Last edited by ericbushby on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericbushby
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Very Neat job there Eric, I might have to clean mine up a little after seeing that :-)
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks Rob, hope to see you Saturday at the CL meeting, but not in the Elan in this weather.
Surely you can`t play golf in 6" of snow !!
Eric
ericbushby
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:52 pm

Looks proper, that!
Late 1972 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Unit 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:01 pm

ericbushby wrote:Thanks Rob, hope to see you Saturday at the CL meeting, but not in the Elan in this weather.
Surely you can`t play golf in 6" of snow !!
Eric

Will see you at the Club Lotus meet for sure, even I'm not that committed to play Golf in these conditions :D
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bart Jan van der Ceelen » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:12 am

Hi Eric,

That looks great! Very well done.
Would you want to share the brand/type of metal polish you used? Also interested to learn how you made the black blanking plate?

Cheers,

Bart
Bart Jan van der Ceelen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:30 am

Hi Bart,
The polish I used was Autosol, only because I wanted a cream or paste consistency. I used to use that in the 60s to remove the blueing on motorbike exhausts !.
The surround was cut from 1.5mm steel sheet, which I always have about me. The outer edge curved to match the radio profile.
A rectangular hole was made a close fit to the projecting radio dial section and two clearance holes for the front bezel fixing threads. So it was sandwiched between the bezel and the backing nuts on the knob shafts.
To the back of the new plate under the radio I glued a piece of hardwood (mahogany becaause I had a piece the right size) about 25mm wide to make a small shelf which puts the radio at the right height. The thickness was about 8mm and was made to lift the radio to the correct height in the slot.
This was glued and lightly clamped with a temporary piece of polythene between the radio and everything else to prevent the Araldite from going where I did not want it.
The length of the wood was a close fit in the dashboard slot and was finally pushed in with a piece of leather packing at one side to fix it.
So, nothing clever there as you can see. I know that there were some special brackets to fix a Turnolock into an Elan. There was once a leaflet for sale on ebay showing how to make them.
If I had seen them I may have done it that way but for now I am satisfied.
I am slightly disappointed that because of the snow I cannot show it off at our local Club Lotus meeting tomorrow.
Sorry, no photos because it is fitted and I do not want to remove it just now. Oviously I could do if required.
Cheers
Eric in Burnley
S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: