Lotus Elan

LHD Elan Steering Rack [s]

PostPost by: The Cyclist » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Thank you for the information Tim.

OK, I have done some measuring & it looks as though both racks have the original steering arms i.e. 6 inch but the lock-stops are missing as far as I can see.

Attached are pictures of the base of the steering arms. There aren't any tubes hiding within the gaiters on the passenger side of the racks.

I think I'm going to re-list them in the for sale section with a more accurate description after I hear the forum's feedback.

I'm sorry I'm not fast to respond to messages, but I only do this stuff at weekends and to be honest I'm more interested in getting these things I don't need to a good home than maximising my financial return.

Geoff
Attachments
2018-06-09-20.11.19.jpg and
2018-06-09-20.16.32.jpg and
2018-06-09-20.19.52.jpg and
2018-06-09-20.21.36.jpg and
The Cyclist
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 pm

Geoff,
In the picture of the passenger's side, there is a small diameter tube fitting over the rack bar. It appears almost black in your photos, and is running off the edge of the photo. Grab it, twist & pull... does it slide along the rack, loose and separate from the housing tube? If so, that's the steering lock spacer. It's a snug slip fit over the rack bar, but it should slide. The larger tube that is the 'body' of the steering rack is obviously bigger in OD than the rack bar. Large enough to have a plastic bushing in the end between it and the rack bar. The tube hanging off the side of you photo doesn't look that large in diameter... it's more of a small diameter 'right on' the rack bar. I'll be surprised if it's not the passenger side steering lock spacer.

In the picutes of the driver's side, I don't see anything 'spacer-like'. It would be very short in the Elan rack, 0.28" for the S1-S2-S3, and 0.53" for the S4 & Sprint. The 0.1" spacer in the Elan +2 rack is barely more than a washer. For visual reference, the jam nut is 0.281" thick. So for an Elan S1-S2-S2, you're looking for a spacer as wide as the jam nut. In the S4 & Sprint, it would be a bit less than twice as thick as the jam nut.

The Elan's short driver's side spacers aren't usually installed loose, but rather welded to the inward facing side of the jam nut. But it's not there in your photos, so let's presume it's there but installed loose. Look into the open end of the cast aluminum housing. Do you see it at the far end of the recess, up against the inner wall of the blind cavity. If yes, then you should be able to hook it with a pick and slide it out. Or just try turning the rack's input shaft to move the rack bare back and forth. The spacer 'might' follow the rack bar.

If the spacer is truly missing, then it's just a steel sleeve, and any machine shop can make one, given the correct dimensions. It's not a big deal. For piece of mind, I'd ask for 4130 steel... or whatever your steel counterpart is over there.

For reference, Moss Motors (USA) lists new replacement Spitfire steering racks for $179.99 normally, now reduced to $143.99 on sale. Of course, you'd still need to have the 'Lotus' parts to swap in.
https://mossmotors.com/triumph-spitfire ... ing-rack-2

Regards,
Tim Engel
Esprit2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Cyclist » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Tim,

Thank you once more for your help. I couldn't see anything like a tube on the passenger side & I measured the rack body from the pinion to the passenger's side - which was about 17" and not about 20" which I believe is the length if there is a lockstop. So I think the lockstops have been transferred. I didn't see anything loose inside the casting.

So I think the accurate description for the items would be - Genuine second hand Lotus LHD steering racks without lockstops.....

Geoff
The Cyclist
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Cyclist » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:58 pm

OK so version 2:

For sale, 2 second hand LHD Elan Steering Racks without their lockstops, but with 6 inch trackrods.

I am now even more uncertain about the price, so make me an offer.

So everyone knows I had 5 offers to buy them at £75 when I thought they were complete.

Geoff
The Cyclist
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Cyclist » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Ohh and it's unlikely I'll look at this forum again until next weekend, so don't start chewing your fingernails....

Geoff
The Cyclist
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: