Lotus Elan

Breaking Lotus Elan Sprint - All parts available

PostPost by: memnon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Hi,

Category B in Uk seems to be a really grey area - it means that it can be sold for parts but should not be put back on the road. As it happens with a glass fibre body and a new chassis, this isn't really relevant to an elan, but its really hard to know how to get such a mark removed, from HPi checks. As other people have pointed out insurers will insure it! - The DVLA haven't marked it as salvage category B and have inspected it, so officially it doesn't show this issue.

I am asking £25000 complete and have had some very close offers. It isn't sold until someone pays me for the car though.
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:09 pm

racer417 wrote:Don't know what "Category B" means. I'm in the US and assume it's equivalent to a salvage title here. How much would you want for the entire car?

No its rather the opposite of that. It is a decision by the insurance company that the car as a whole is unsafe and only its parts can be reused not the whole car.

Category A is a decision that the car is so unsafe that the whole car must be crushed with no salvage of parts at all.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pcarew » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 pm

I've been reading this thread with interest. The car looks wonderful, it saddens me to think that we'll collectively lose another one of the limited supply of cars.

I'm thinking that this is probably a pretty good argument for having/keeping a car insured for a *high* agreed value. That way it is harder for the insurance company to argue for a write-off on an 'uneconomic' basis.

Paul.
Paul Carew
Austin,Texas,USA

1967 Lotus Elan S3SE Right Hand Drive, FHC 36/7152 BOO 758F
pcarew
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: zog » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:54 pm

Sell it to someone in the US. Don't part it out.
zog
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Trade chassis plates and ownership papers with someone in the USA?

John
baileyman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: memnon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:20 am

Someone in the US would have to buy it!

The whole issue revolves around Insurnace DB Not DVLA - the DVLA/VOSA have inspected the vehicle and have re-issued a V5 without the Cat B Mark.

The Insurance DB does not have an appeals process to get a mark removed - it is partof the cars history, but it also affects the value, so the only options when selling it for me are part it out or export it. Parting it is easier than exporting it.
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:52 am

May be I missed something but it is shown as insured on the MID Database,
https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/
Is it that it is insured but not insured for the road or is the database out of date?
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memnon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:02 am

The more people here dig into this the more I am convinced that the issue is just historical reference issue.

Yes, the vehicle is insured for road use.
It has been through numerous MOTs since its rebuild.
It has been inspected by VOSA (21 years ago) before I bought it with a valid new V5 with no Category B or other information on the V5.

I have had multiple updates (like format changes and address changes) to the V5 including a further inspection by VOSA in my presence to correct the chassis number on the V5.

But that Blemish on that comes up on HPI is indelible as far as I can see. I have said before that I don't have the fight in me with this car to try and rightly clear it's name, it still holds true.
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Have you thought about buying a complete wreck of a car with V5 and transferring the chassis plate..............
mikealdren
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:17 pm

Firstly, this is nothing to do with me, but let me chip in.
It seems to me that Jason is totally fed up and dispirited with this car. he has obviously put a lot and time and effort into this long term project and now wants nothing more to do with it.
Regardless of all the suggestions of how to get round the problems, he is permanently disillusioned with it.
He no longer wants the aggravation of sorting out paperwork and inspections.
Please will someone buy it so that he can move on and buy himself something which after all these years he will finally be happy with.
Jason. if I have misunderstood your comments, I apologise, and feel free to chastise me here.
Good luck
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC (still in favour)(most of the time)
ericbushby
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: memnon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Lol,

spot on Eric
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:27 pm

memnon wrote:Someone in the US would have to buy it!

The whole issue revolves around Insurnace DB Not DVLA - the DVLA/VOSA have inspected the vehicle and have re-issued a V5 without the Cat B Mark.

The Insurance DB does not have an appeals process to get a mark removed - it is partof the cars history, but it also affects the value, so the only options when selling it for me are part it out or export it. Parting it is easier than exporting it.

So, if a UK plate ends up in the USA on a different car, treated as an import, in a state where we happily put totalled vehicles back on the road, and a USA plate is "imported to the UK for this S4, and UK is happy with the import, why doesn't this work?

John
baileyman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:44 pm

It seems to me that when both chassis/subframe and body are both changed at around the same time then strictly speaking it is not the same car and the manufacturers plate should not have been put on the reconstructed car.

Logically it should have been treated, those many years ago, as new car and would have been subject to inspection and probably assigned a Q number plate.

It would not then have carried over that dreadful B-category insurance mark.

A Q plate would of course reduce its value, but would not require parting out since effectively that was already done.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memnon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Whoever said the body had been replaced?

The Chassis has been replaced - as is common to most Elans still on the road!

The body & engine match.
memnon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi Memnon,
I am very curious to hear if the car was sold, or the parts were sold or if this is still "in play". The top of the post says all parts available, but the first post says all parts are sold. I hope that this car will stay on the road somewhere as it looks like much time and effort has gone into it, and it would be a shame to see this car lost.
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: