Lotus Elan

Close ratio gearbox

PostPost by: miked » Sun May 19, 2019 6:56 pm

A Lotus friend of mine, Norman Lupton has asked me to put this on the forum since he does not really do a lot with computers and the internet.
He has a 2.5 ratio first gear complete 2000e gearbox. I marked it and spun it and it has 2.5 turns to one. I had a gander inside and it is very clean with evidence of clean oil on the gears, hubs etc. It has fresh grease on the detent springs. It is painted black and appears to have been stripped and cleaned some time ago. No evidence of any dirt or rust. It has a protection cap on the outout shaft and all the surfaces are taped so somebody has taken time to protect it to store.
If interested please PM me and I wil give you his contact number. Please then deal direct with him. He is looking for £1500 or offer close to.
I can't tell you any more details than above as I have not stripped it. So please do not take the Michael out of my limited description. :?
He will be going to Castle Combe so anybody interested can see it for themselves and make up their own mind.

Cheers Mike :D
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
BSA B33
Suzuki Hustler T250
BMW rninet scrambler
Suzuki TC120 trailcat
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:47 am

At the request of Norman I have now stripped this box down to fully examine the condition. New gaskets and seal fitted. It is in nice condition. Full report available with photographs if anybody is interested. Sleeved first gear and 17mm first motion shaft.
Thanks Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
BSA B33
Suzuki Hustler T250
BMW rninet scrambler
Suzuki TC120 trailcat
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:30 pm

Just for my education, what do you mean by a sleeved 1st gear? Sorry, I can’t buy it, although I would love too!
Thanks
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:03 pm

On earlier boxes the first gear ran on a sleeve/ bush. The bush is held on the shaft by a ball bearing. On the later boxes the first gear runs on the main shaft like the 2nd and 3rd gears.
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
BSA B33
Suzuki Hustler T250
BMW rninet scrambler
Suzuki TC120 trailcat
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Ah, I see, thanks.
Good luck with the sale.