Lotus Weber Head Twin Cam for sale - **SOLD**

PostPost by: kenno320 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:40 am

For Sale: Lotus Twin Cam Weber head engine. Recent rebuild.
I purchased a 1967 Elan DHC with an engine that had around 400 miles on it since a rebuild. Since the engine is not original to the car, I decided to drop in a custom built twin cam that I was going to use for a different project. Therefore, I will be selling the engine that came with the car.
According to the previous owner, the engine is pretty much a stock rebuild with standard pistons and crank. The head was rebuilt by John Kouba of Lotus Racing West, and was built to big valve specs. The block was rebuilt and the engine was assembled at a local engine shop.
I have since put 300 or so miles on it. I am keeping the engine in the car until it is sold, so that I will be able to start it periodically to keep it “fresh”.
It has an “L” block. Casting No. 681F6015. It also has the numbers G17095B. I am assuming that is the serial number. The owner did not know if the engine had round or square bearing caps, and I could not find a reference to say which Mk2 engines had square caps.
The previous owner said that the engine should not be considered any higher performance than standard, but is a good reliable runner.

I am asking $5900 or best offer.

The engine will be shipped on stands, in a crate. One of the linked photos shows the crate, with a different engine inside.
Buyer needs to arrange shipping, but I can drop it off at a terminal in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

I have attached some photos below.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZHbcSxJHVEihXJWFA

I can be contacted at kenno320 at iCloud dot com.
Last edited by kenno320 on Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
67 S3 DHC
68 S4 SE FHC
kenno320
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:25 am

Only very late 681 blocks had square main caps, and are rare, just before the introduction of the 701M block that all had square main caps.

Not sure if I am correct here, memory, but late 681 blocks may have had 2" core plugs at the rear of the block, instead of the slightly smaller plug, and that may give an indication as to whether it has square caps or not. Perhaps someone can confirm.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:46 pm

Do you have any receipts or paperwork from the rebuild? Good news is it doesn't appear to leak. It might also help to post a video on youtube of you driving the car or the engine starting/running.
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kenno320 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:57 am

The last image in the Google photo link is actually a video. Kinda amateurish, as I was holding the camera when I started the engine, and then got up to walk around.

Unfortunately no receipts on the engine work. Apparently, the head was done a while back, and the block assembled at his friends business
67 S3 DHC
68 S4 SE FHC
kenno320
New-tral

Total Online: