Lotus Elan

Breaking for spares?

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu May 23, 2019 10:58 am

Never thought i'd come across another Elan being broken for parts......... Bit depressing tbh.

Looks like a external boot lock +2 so might be some interesting stuff on it........
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-P ... Sw~htc1EBH

BTW it's nothing to do with me........ not sure i could bring myself to break a classic for parts, even if it was a Cat S.
Last edited by Grizzly on Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Thu May 23, 2019 2:51 pm

WHY breaking up? what am I missing here? that would be tragic!
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu May 23, 2019 3:12 pm

I think the answer is fairly easy to derive.

What you're seeing is the consequence of spare parts inflation. When the engine alone can fetch the thick end of £7k why would you try to sell it as a going concern? Think of all those really hard to find parts - door frames, body panels, even the steering wheel... add that lot up and you can easily beat the car's market price.
Late 1972 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Unit 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu May 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Indeed....... i guess there is always going to be a market for parts. I suppose we don't know how well the body has been repaired either.

Still a bit sad to see a complete car being broken, i thought we were past the Mk1 guys buying +2's for the engine.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu May 23, 2019 5:45 pm

It looks to be in reasonable shape to me, Chris.

Still, he'd not get much more than £10k for it as-is so parting it out makes sense economically. And - sacrilege! - I've thought the same thing about my car even as I pour yet more cash into it (but it's not yet at that tipping point where it cost more than I could get for it, yet).
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu May 23, 2019 6:22 pm

The seller is listing the bonnet and bootlid separately as well as the engine here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Ford-T ... SwWUVc3-Qf seems an optimistic price to me. Why break a car with a working engine and what looks to be a reasonable paint job?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Thu May 23, 2019 8:42 pm

A Category S vehicle has suffered structural damage and has been written off by the insurer as it was uneconomical to repair. This damage could be to any part of the vehicle's structural frame, including the chassis
Quote above taken from the Autotrader site suggests that there was possibly more damage than the fibreglass that has been repaired. Perhaps a new frame is required??
Brian.
ncm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu May 23, 2019 9:31 pm

It's very easy to cat S a grp car, it's basically made of digestive biscuit so a 10mph impact would almost definitely cat S a +2. Thats why you should always get salvage retention on your insurance.

I think Jonb is on the right lines, i bet it's not as nice close up and he's struggled to sell it so come up with the plan to break it with the hope of making as much if not more than it's intact value.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:35 am

But people have always broken +2's for spares. Thats why window frames and body parts are not as hard to buy as Elan parts. As for £7k for an unknown engine, I wish. I've got one for sale for £6999. :lol:
I'm at that state with my +2, runs very well but needs paint. So I just use it as a +2 is a very underrated car.
YMMV.
Cheers
John
Edit, also noted that the boot lock on the car listed is not original so that's halved the value of that car!
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri May 24, 2019 7:21 am

Well, OK perhaps 7K is a bit much, but they don't come up often so I'm going by asking prices I have seen (doesn't mean they are worth that much, I admit).

It'd be jolly interesting to find out what he gets once all is sold off. I'm only advancing a theory that it is worth more as parts; I have no evidence.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:48 am

JonB wrote:It'd be jolly interesting to find out what he gets once all is sold off. I'm only advancing a theory that it is worth more as parts; I have no evidence.

Jon, you are correct it will be worth more or as much in parts. The more you look at the pics you realise there are lots of other bits missing or non standard. Also it's back to the cost of restoration. If you were given that car you could not restore it, with you doing all the work and sell it for what you had spent.
There are loads of other things that come into the equation now as well. New engines can be built if needed. Younger people want cars from their youth not their dads. Those same young people don't want to work on cars and most don't have apprenticeship back grounds. There are more older cars for sale as we fall of our perches.
Just enjoy them while we can as cars with steering wheels will soon be banned. :lol:
Cheers
John
Last edited by elanman999 on Fri May 24, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri May 24, 2019 8:23 am

Well said that man..

It's the same in the "Retro Computing" world. Yoof are not interested in the old computers of the '70s and '80s, so I am anticipating the bottom falling out of that particular market at some point (maybe in 10 or 20 years).
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:57 am

"Retro Computing"? You don't want an old Texas computer do you? Got one the loft along with lots of other crap that I'll never use. Lots of CCC magazines as well.
Ah well thats just getting old. :D
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri May 24, 2019 9:09 am

elanman999 wrote:"Retro Computing"? You don't want an old Texas computer do you? Got one the loft along with lots of other crap that I'll never use. Lots of CCC magazines as well.
Ah well thats just getting old. :D
Cheers
John

Sure I do. I collect all that crap, for my sins. Is it a TI 44/9A by any chance?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:45 am

Jon,
I'll look it all out and PM you. It could be a few days.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: