Lotus Elan

1967 RHD S3 in TN

PostPost by: fattogatto » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:48 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Lotus-Ela ... SwPqZeAs-C

Imagine my surprise when I was told there was a 1967 S3 RHD for sale 15 miles away from me . . . as I also have a 1967 S3 RHD. This one is in pretty ratty shape but if anyone wants me to take a look at it for them all they have to do is contact the owner and set it up.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:11 am

This car could be a prime candidate for repatriation being RHD, depending on the final price.

I note that the roll bar would be about as useful as a chocolate tea pot, not that it would remain if I bought it. Seems to be lower than most drivers head height, unless you are vertically challenged.

Seller has obviously had a bit to much brandy butter in describing the dash as in good shape, many cracks, and what is that in the radio aperture! No pictures or mention of the chassis or engine despite describing the mechanicals as restored.

Work to do on this one but could be a goer. Thanks for posting.

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:15 pm

Leslie, I see 2 pictures of the engine.
1967 Elan S3
1972 Europa Twin Cam
2005 Elise
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:18 pm

I agree this could be a pig-in-a-poke. The car is obviously in terrible condition and one must assume the innards of the car have been kept to the same standard as the body. Complete frame-off would be required. I have no idea what the car will go for. Last I looked it was approaching $10,000 and I'd be surprised if it went for much over that.

Happy holidays.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:58 am

It doesn't look too bad at all to me with mainly cosmetic issues making it look bad, but with virtually all the rare original buts and pieces in place. A fantastic project for someone.
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:00 am

This car was owned, for a short time it appears, by tomjones 20194 on here. See: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42797

Since he only bought it last September, he has already sold it to the current seller, a dealer I assume.

It looks like a good candidate for repatriation back to the UK and a light restoration. The paintwork is clearly the major apparent issue.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:23 am

If we treat the photos on LotusElan.net as "before" and those on eBay as "after" pictures, it looks like someone has tried to begin body restoration and given up. I wonder why...

Could be a cheap entry into baby Elan ownership, but without inspecting it one cannot be sure ("What's the chassis like?" would be my first question). I just spent an interesting half hour reading up on how you import a car to the UK. I found a company that will do it for $650 and read the UK importation rules (including the bit about paying VAT).

Still, it is tempting... :D
Late 1972 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Unit 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:25 pm

I think you can assume that everything needs doing, and in that case, it's much easier to drop the rolling chassis out from the body anyway. Once done, the Elan is one of the easiest cars to work on! A new chassis is aroundr £2.5k. the machining and bits to recondition an engine, gearbox and propshaft about the same (assuming you can do it yourself) and then the brake and clutch hydraulics, bushes, shocks, bearings, steering and driveshafts another £2k. Add on £2k for sundries and you have a new rolling chassis.

Blast and paint the wheels, add new tyres and the car will be on the road, and look exactly the same as it does now! Sorting out the electrics, dash, hood and carpets is cheap enough, but then the dreaded paintwork has to be done, and that costs the same as all the rest put together,,,unless you can do a lot yourself.

A great project!
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Gentlemen,

Over here in the Colonies we have a word . . . hinky. It is applied to something, or someone, that gives you an uneasy feeling.

It is obvious the car listed above on Lotus.net is the same car.

I spoke to the owner of this car two days ago. He was most reticent in speaking of the car, especially when I informed him I had the exact same year and model and lived only 15 miles from him. Only answering direct questions, he stated he bought the car from Virginia two years ago and that the previous owner had owned the car for 30 years and had done restoration work. He described himself as someone who buys and sells cars when he gets bored with them. "I have lots of cars." I asked where he got his work done and he said he did it all himself. I asked if it would drive and he said he just drove it "about two weeks ago." He stated the car was originally red and "someone" painted it black. I believe he started the cosmetic clean up and could not find anyone in the area to do the bodywork. (That makes sense as we don't have any fiberglass wizards around here.) He may also have found, as was alluded to above, other issues. In the conversation he told me he had owned at least 8 Loti of various shapes and forms.

The ownership stream, as described by this chap, certainly does not fit the listing on Lotus.net. That alone makes me "hinky." His reluctance to discuss any particulars of this car also makes one wary. IMO the condition is tragic. The current bid is almost $10,000 USD.

As I said before, if anyone is serious I'd be willing to run down and check the car out if the potential buyer would set up the meet. I am also willing to assist in the shipment of the car if someone in the UK wants to ship it home. Possibly I can store the car for a short period. The only costs would be for my time and costs of getting it from downtown Memphis to my shop 40 miles away. I have shipped cars to Europe and the 650 number stated above usually morphs into about $2,000 USD by the time all incidental and government costs are paid. Plus the cost of getting the car to the port. That would be for a container shipment. The shipping company I have always used is Fast Forwarding out of Indianapolis. I can provide contact if anyone needs it.

This car may be a real find. I do feel his descriptions of the condition on E-bay are somewhat strange.

Happy holidays,
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:00 am

Assuming that all of the parts are there, it looks no better nor any worse than any other projects.
The car obviously requires a total restoration and any buyer must factor that into the final cost.

At the time of writing this (07.00 GMT) the Elan stands at $10,250 which equates to somewhere around £7800+
UK buyers would see this car as good value (as it stands) but the price may surge as the auction nears its end?
Then there's the cargo costs....

I imported a Lotus project from the US 3 years ago, using a UK cargo company and, unfortunately, it was a lot more expensive than $650 or the equivalent in sterling!
I'd allow $2500 (£1900) to cover the costs for transportation of the car from the seller to the port, the cargo fees and the additional fees for handling whilst at either end of the journey etc etc....

Good luck to anyone here who buys it, hopefully we will see it again!

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:09 pm

Interesting anomalies, or maybe factory vagaries. There seems to be a hole for an ignition switch but no switch. Possibly a column mounted switch? Also, it has (what I've been led to believe) S4 glove box hinges.

The extra gauge cobbled into the radio area looks like it might be a temp gauge of some sort. If the standard combination gauge works (as stated in the description) I guess this would be an oil temp gauge.

Price is up to $11,200 with reserve not met.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ftsoft » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:10 am

This would have been an scca legal roll bar in the 60's. I should know as I raced one very similar to this.

Frank
66 S2 26/5194
LP4711LA-B
ftsoft
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm

For anyone interested, I have done some research on the seller. He is the owner of a car transport company with a terrible reputation for damaging cars in transit. He also deals in used cars, many interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sk8high123/m.h ... 7675.l2562

This is a link to his other cars. Open it and select "view other items" on the right side of the page. His company was dissolved so he started another one. The "hinky" coefficient has just gone way up.

A low bid is justified but one has to assume a complete rebuild of all components.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:08 pm

In an effort to protect our small group from clear scammers, here is a link to one (of many similar) reviews about this individual.

https://www.transportreviews.com/Compan ... ews/161499

I believe he owns none of these cars listed and is working on a time-delay consignment scheme where he gets payment for the car then buys it from the current owner and uses his company to transport the car to the new owner when convenient.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: philbirch » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:50 am

Can you believe that this car sold for $20090 over £15000, were we missing something, maybe auction fever
philbirch
New-tral

Next

Total Online: