Pedal Box

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:30 am

...if there should be any movement in the pedal box assembly when the brake pedal is depressed.

I recently went to view a prospective purchase to replace my lamentably lost Plus 2.

Whilst looking over the car I noticed that the pedal box moved by about 1/2" when I stood on the pedal. I am sure I have read that this is something to look out for but for the life of me can't remember where.

I can't remember if my old car did this, so was wondering if this was normal?

In the end I didn't buy the car for a number of reasons, but it would be useful to know for looking at other cars for sale

Thanks
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:55 am

Robbie,
That degree of movement sounds unusual to say the least. The pedal box on my +2 certainly moves under pedal pressure but it is only just noticeable.
What's the bodywork like round where the pedalbox fixes on? For the pedalbox to flex that much, something must be loose,cracked or broken. Caution!!

Regards,

Hamish.

:mellow:
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:04 pm

Thanks Hamish,

Yes I thought so too. There were a few other things wrong also but that movement was enough to make me decide against buying it

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:30 pm

Hi Robbie,

Both the pedal box and the steering column in the Plus Two had a degree of flex, which did not inspire confidence , and could with time and heavy usage cause cracking in the fibreglass.

I fabricated a frame in the top of the footwell area to which the steering column, handbrake and pedal box are all secured by their existing mounts.

It made the car feel very secure.

Can send you photos if you are interested.

Sean Murray
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:59 pm

Sean,

Hopefully whichever car I do buy will be sound and not require too much work (!)

I think fabrication work is beyond me, although I can appreciate the benefits of doing what you have; must make for a stiffer/more precise feel.

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:27 pm

Hi There

I remember that when I replaced my pedal box I used some extra metalwork to spread the load. Even super large washers under the bolts would help. It never used to move much after that, but I could see how the original arrangement could have come adrift in an emergency situation.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: