Paint Blisters, Car Pox, Help.

PostPost by: berni29 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:30 am

Hello there

Rightly or wrongly I have just bought a JPS +2 that has major paint blistering everywhere except the roof and bonnet. It looks like smallpox before it gets really bad. Apart from that small detail the paint is ok.

My plan is to (having swapped chassis etc) drive the car while I build up my other (ideal) +2. To do this I will have to do something with the paint. I am after a quick fix. Can I not just puncture all the blisters (with 5 female helpers) push them flat, dehumidify the car for (say) two weeks (using a dehumidifier in the garage) and then sand it down a bit and blow it over?

If not why not?

All the best and happy New Year to all!

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:03 pm

No quick fix I'm afraid.

The blisters will most likely be from moisture in the glass or probably primer trapped at the painting stage (they are sometimes caused by too many solvents ie too many coats too quickly causing "solvent popping" of the trapped solvent, This is very unlikely however)

A dehumidifier will do nothing. to help, It might absorb some of your sweat when you start sanding
:(

I would suggest the best way to try a fairly labour intensive fix would be to DRY sand the blisters away so that you are sure you have gone through them fully and then repaint the car. Pricking the blisters will not help, there is usually a shallow crater under them and you will end up with a car covered in little primer pits rather than blisters!

The problem is that you are likely to still have moisture trapped and the problem will recur. If the car has been repainted (likely) and the blisters are in the most recent coats sanding sufficiently to take the surface down to an older sound coat would work but again is hard work and very time consuming.

To do it properly you need to take all the paint off and then thoroughly dry the shell before painting but that is certainly not a quick fix!

Oh the joys of fiberglass refinishing :o
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:29 am

Hi John

I know that you are right. In fact puncturing all the blisters would be quite an undertaking in itself and in fact might need 10 female helpers.

I think that plan "B" is going to be sand the car as vigourously as possible (with all the panels attached but screens out) fix the real nasties, and paint.

My last plus 2 was a daily driver, and used to shed paint on a daily basis. Especially after a jet washing. I can live with a poor but intact finish. I am just trying to find a reasonable compromise.

The funny thing is that I have got a fully rubbed down bodyshell already. The trouble is that it has a sunroof, and I really dislike them. I thought that I would be able to get over it, but I cant. If anyone is intersted in buying it please let me know! It is in Beckenham, Kent. ?250 would do the trick.

I liked the bit about the dehumidifyer. If you want to see really bad paint have a look at my other plus 2<a href='http://www.searchsmart.co.uk/lotus/paintwork.htm' target='_blank'>bad paint day</a>

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:45 pm

Hi Berni,

If the shell is stripped (the other shell) it would be a fairly simple task to glass the hole up especially if you still have the bit that was taken out?

If it's a good shell otherwise I would be tempted

The other thing would be a really good quality sunroof or even a proper webasto which would be quite nice; I know what you mean about sunroofs though

John

PS

I am impressed .......a man who could get 10 women to help! :lol:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: