Boot Catch

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:37 pm

Does anyone have any tips on assembling and adjusting the boot catch on a '68 Plus 2? I think that my catch (above) may be put together incorrectly - I've changed it since taking the pic so that both 'detachable' plates are below the fixed plate, but I'm still having trouble with the adjustment.

I can get it working OK by pressing the spring loaded catch that fixes to the boot lid into the catch on the car, which then detatches OK when I operate the release cable. However, when I then fix the upper catch to the boot lid and close it I can't re-open it! I've tried changing the position of the 'upper catch' but with no luck... I have to remove the boot hinges from inside the car and wiggle the catch free while operating the cable to release it (longer arms would help) each time!

All a bit trial and error and as you can imaging I'm getting a bit fed up with it!!!! - any ideas??

Thanks,
Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: flyinggellyfish » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:23 pm

On checking the parts manual , it appears you have it assembeled correctly , in my opinion .
Have you tried adjusting the length of the spring catch on boot lid ? If you have fitted a new boot seal is it to thick ? I had found that to be the prob on my boot lid and I fitted a different seal which cured the fault .

Rick
1968 Elan +2 . Now going back together after 18 years , you just can not rush these things .<br>Rick
flyinggellyfish
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: daves56 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:29 pm

Simon,
Another suggestion, when I've had to adjust the boot catch I've pulled off the boot seal in front of the catch (let it hang down inside the boot). The top latch is what's adjusted but if the adjustment's not correct the latch will bind and the boot won't open. But with the seal removed (in that area) you should be able to just fit in a wrench to adjust the top latch so the alinment is correct and the boot should open.
Good Luck,
Dave Sutcliffe
daves56
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:28 pm

Simon,

This photo shows the catch is assembled all wrong. The plates sahould be in the reverse order, and the cable should be underneath the main metal frame.

I'll do a sketch when I get time.

Sean Murray
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:49 am

My tip would be to eliminate most of the assembly unless you're trying to please concours judges. A simple downward pin with security clip will eliminate would be trunk/boot thieves.....keep it simple, practical. If it must be original, good luck, Toyota can't even seem to make a trunk release that lasts more than 15 years, double that plus for your Lotus... will you be keeping valueables in your trunk?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:11 am

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll have another go this weekend.

I'm not trying to keep it original just for the sake of it so I'm open to suggestions of improvements; the current set up seems to be biased towards the cheapest solution rather than the best engineered way of remotely operating a catch... Having said that though I'm not yet ready to admit defeat to it!
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: