+2 Spyder Zetec?

PostPost by: wilsongt » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:27 pm

Hello,

Any Zetec Elan +2 owners out there? I'd be most interested in your experiences with either a self build or buying a completed car from Spyder Cars? I've been in contact with Andy at Spyder who tells me that only one has ever come up for resale, which is as good a recomendation as any. I'm convinced, but what is teh best way to go about things?

Being financially challenged, or rather tight fisted, the self build route may be the only option unless someone is thinking of selling one on. On the other hand I don't exactly have a lot of spare time to build up one myself.

One, or rather two of the reasons for being budget minded would be travelling in the back on any family journey, assuming there is room. They are in the under-5 age bracket. Again, would welcome advice/experiences from anyone who has installed child seat(s) in the back of a +2? I see Spyder also offer a seatbelt conversion, has anyone installed this kit?

Many thanks in advance for any replies

Regards,
Glenn
wilsongt
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:13 pm

Hi Glen,
Don't know about the spyder conversion myself, but I am in the middle of fitting the spyder rear belt system for my littlones..
System is reasonably easy to fit even without instructions.
The belts are standard IRS 4 point products.
I think the seats are pefrect for kids (after all they were design for them by Chapman)
My only worry is that the belts are pretty heavy duty (built to restrain a large adult in a lotus 7), and as such the kids may find them uncomfortable..
Only the summer will tell however!
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:33 pm

Glenn,

I'm in the final stages of building one myself - in fact I started it up for the first time yesterday! I began mine around this time last year but it's been fitted in around family and work commitments; the most time consuming (but also the most satisfying) part has been the body preparation and respray which I carried out last summer.

The mechanical part has been fairly straightforward and the rolling chassis really can be completed in a weekend once you have all of the bits. The Spyder sourced stuff has been very good quality and although none of it came with instructions it really is common sense to put it all together - plus Andy at Spyder has always been ready to spend time going through stuff that I haven't been sure about.

The changes that need to be made to the Zetec engine are well covered on the web - have a look at <a href='http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/stepbystep.htm' target='_blank'>Zetec Inside</a> for a good overview of what's involved.

If you want to build one as quickly and as cheaply as possible I'd suggest looking for a car with good paint as a starting point and going for a second hand engine - mine cost me ?250 locally.

Lastly, they'll be no shortage of people who'll tell you that you shouldn't be building one at all and that you should restore an 'original' - ignore them and go for it!

Happy to chat through any of the above in more detail if it would help - contact me off list.

Simon
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:25 pm

Glenn,

I'm a little bit behind Simon with my conversion, but I started earlier :o. Hoping to have mine finished by May (nearly a year after I projected initially). I would second everything Simon has said. Andy at Spyder has been an enormous help all the way through, but since the only instructions I had were pictures taken at various exhibitions and the build article in Practical Classics, it was pretty necessary.

The Spyder bits are fairly easy, the challenge has been restoring an Elan Plus 2 in a narrow garage with no electricity, and my car was in good shape before I started too.

I know of at least one other member of this forum who is working on one and may have finished it by now (you out there Fitzy?).

If you decide to DIY there's a good amount of experience here now and like Simon, I'm happy to help off-line.

Regards

Niall

Pics of car <a href='http://community.webshots.com/user/niallf17' target='_blank'>here</a> and <a href='http://community.webshots.com/user/niallf18' target='_blank'>here</a>
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:58 am

Hi

I have rear seatbelts in my JPS +2. I did not fit them, and will have a look for a makers name when I venture into the garage. Failing that I can take a pic of the install for you.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveb1 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:45 pm

Hi

I fitted the spyder rear seat belt in my 68 +2. As per the previous comments no instructions, so a couple of phone calls to spyder were needed to make sure they were installed correctly. My problems were as the care was in one piece and not being rebuilt. When fitting the top mounting brace the rear window is in the way and a right angle drill is needed, also make sure the care is not jacked up as the holes in the top of the chassis arms will not line up with mounting brace. My only other issue was fitting the lower mounting plates as their is very little clearance between the fibreglass and the chasse for the inner ones.
Once fitted my 7 and 5 year old fitted comfortably in to the harnesses. Incidentally the rear of the car felt firmer (to me anyway) I put this down to the original flimsy cross brace in front of the petrol tank being replace with the very sturdy spyder one.
steveb1
New-tral

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:48 pm

I too had rear 4-point harnesses fitted in my Plus 2 when I bought it - 'bolted' directly through the hardboard rear parcel shelf!

Fortunately the car hadn't been crashed...
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mushtak » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:13 pm

Hi Glenn
I'm also working on converting my +2 to the Zetec and I'm hoping to finsh it in the next couple of months. I bought it last August & started work on it in October; I stripped it all down in 2 weekends. www.spydercars.com have a sort of detailed describtion with pictures of what you need to do for the conversion, this I printed & put it in a folder for a quick reference while I was working on the car plus Andy is more than happy to help out with any problems, he's normally only a call away.
Believe it or not I sourced a great deal of my parts from ebay which saved me a fortune. Most of the mechanicals like the engine, gearbox, hubs, diff, brake calipres can be obtained at a reasonable price from a reputable breakers.
As Simon says once you have the parts, getting to the rolling chassis stage is not hard (even without detailed instructions). I sent the car for a re-spray last Sunday & sent the upholstery for a re-trim today, my next job is the wiring.
Mushtak
New-tral

PostPost by: lotuselanman » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:07 pm

:D :D :D :D
Gidday Glen,
I am in Australia, Beautiful South East Queensland.
Good to see there are so many Spider / Zetec conversions in progress. I am also fiscally challenged, tight fisted and people say there is an audable squeak when I walk.
Started a Z swap a couple of years ago but due to other projects and lack of funds it has sat for far too long, all going well I will be back onto it in a few weeks. I am using the original chassis as we don't have rust problems here. It's got to be the way to go, UP THE ZETEC.!!
See ya, Les
lotuselanman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fitzy1 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:54 am

Hi guys
Fitzy here.

I'ld endorse all that has been said about the Spyder conversion it's a great way of updating a classic into a truly usable daily car.
Having said that it wouldn't work without Andy at Spyder who is a font of Lotus knowledge , extremkely helpful and an all round good egg.

My conversion is not quite finished but is booked in with Andy for a look over and MOT plus fitting of the bonded screen this weekend.

In my c old narrow garage I don't have the equipment or knowledge to set up suspension ,toe in or camber so Andy will do that.

I've then only got to finish the trim fit a radio and some sort of alarm or locking device.

Back to the origional question ...no I'm not fitting kids seat belts....I'm not letting kids in.!!

fitzy
fitzy1
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: wilsongt » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:13 am

Thank you one and all for the replies - most useful!

Also most reassuring. I guess I was looking at the figures for a fully restored shell and leather interior sitting on the full works Spyder chassis, suspension and conversion. All rather frightening. As has been suggested, there's no reason that couldn't be a decently painted car with a tidy interior sitting on a replacement Spyder chassis and supsension + a secondhand Zetec, injection and drivetrain, for a lot less money

I will have to get budgeting!

Thanks again

Regards,
Glenn
wilsongt
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: