S1 And S2 Dashboard Interchangeablility

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:57 am

Greetings, does anyone know if a short width S1 dashboard fits in an S2 bodyshell?
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jrmdir » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:17 am

My early S1 had been "upgraded" with an S2 dash prior to my purchase. I restored it to original spec by sourcing an S1 dash and moulded glovebox binnacle. There were no problems that I recall in making the swap, so I assume that the swap would work the other way as well....S1 dash into S2 body. The two lower mounting bolts behind the shift lever are the same and the exposed chrome screws around the periphery of the dashes are in the same position. The smallere mounting screws through to the steering column support were also in the same position.

The main difference is the fiberglass glovebox unit on the offside which bolts to the bottom of the dash top and then has another exposed chrome screw holding its inner edge to the wooden dash. I would check to see if your S2 body has a bobbin in the dash top about half way between the defroster vent and the windshield post to accept the S1 glovebox top bolt.

Of course, the other main difference is the shorter height of the S1 dash which leaves more of the heater exposed - but that's the way the S1 looked.

Hope this helps......let me know if I can provide further info.

Ron
jrmdir
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:55 am

Thank You, Ron.

Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jrmdir » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:48 am

You're welcome Eric. I forgot to mention that you may need to trim the dash board mounting flange on the side of the shell that has the moulded glovebox. (Not sure if you're LHD or RHD.) I can't recall if the glovebox snugs up against that flange like the S2 dash does or if it wants to occupy the same space.

Ron
jrmdir
New-tral

Total Online: