Inertia Reel Seatbelts

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:26 pm

Has anybody fitted inertia reel seatbelts to their Elan?
Just wondered if you can fit them behind the rear panel on a DHC or do they have to fit on the outside?

Thanks

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:43 am

Greetings, I don't know about the little Elans but my stock 1969 +2 (USA version) has enough room to hide the reels behind the inner wall. The shoulder belts come out through a slit slightly behind the passenger/driver's outer shoulder.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jrmdir » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:25 am

Carl:

I've added inertial belts to my S-1 and am very happy with the results, but I had to go through two deisgns, (both using general purpose units from Moss.) I first tried mounting the reels directly to the rear bulkhead using the large body-to-chassis bolts that go through the back wall of the cockpit. This type of setup is pictured in what is possibly a factory photo on page 30 of the book "Lotus Elans and Europas, A Collector's Guide" by John Bolster. This setup works OK and is easy to install, but the belts wrap around your neck as the upper mounting point is directly behind your head. Not too comfortable and probably not safe.

Since there are no hard points in the rear corners of the cockpit where the upper mounting points should be, I decided to fabricate curved brackets in order to move the reels out to the corners. I used 1/4" x 1" stock bent to match the curve of the cockpit lip and welded fitments on either end that bolt to the large body bolts on one end and to the top of the door opening reinforcement inserts at the other. I can send photos if you are interested.

One other thought is that if you were to add a Spyder saftey system with integral roll hoop, that hoop has mounting points for three point belts and can be adapted for an inertial reel set up.

Ron
jrmdir
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:19 pm

Carl, my Sprint originally had inertia belts so it was fairly easy for me. I used the set from www.andoverrestraints.com. The inertial unit bolted to the same spot as original, behind the bulkhead panel. The belts act like the ones from the '70s, ie, you have to pull them out slowly or else they lock in place. I like them.

Greg Z.
'72 Sprint
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:25 pm

Thanks for all your comments. I have a 72/73 Sprint although my car was not fitted with inertia reel seatbelts. I like the idea of fitting the reels behind the bulkhead.
I don't know if the Spyder system will work on my car as I don't have a Spyder chassis. I am fortunate enough to live about 20 miles from Spyder so I may call in and ask them..

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jrmdir » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:28 am

Carl:

Spyder have, or did have when I bought one several years ago, a roll bar/safety system that attaches to the stock Lotus chassis. You might want to check it out.

Ron
jrmdir
New-tral

PostPost by: pereirac » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:30 am

Just checked my parts list. Inertia reel seat belts were available as a factory option upto S3 cars and then after that only static belts were offered?
That seems a strange way to go?
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:41 pm

I installed inertia reel 3 point seatbelts in my Elan. I have since removed them for 3 point static ones from Moss. The inerta reels keep pulling the lap part up over my abdomin. I did not feel this was at all safe. So out they went.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:30 pm

I wonder if this is why Lotus stopped offering inertia reel seatbelts, after all racing harnesses are fixed?
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: