glove box +2

PostPost by: rdssdi » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:39 pm

I am in the process of attaching the gloive box to my new dashboard.

Can anyone kindly provide a description and/or picture of the "tutch latch". This is the mechanism that opens anbd closes the glove box with a push. I need to find out how the metal bracket that the latch affixes to is screwed to the dash. Is the metal bracket on top of the cardboard glove box or inside. Is the latch exactly centered in the box opening?

thanks

Bob
1969 Elan +2
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:04 am

I can only speak for my Sprint which has the touch latch scewed to the top of the glove box, exactly on the door centre line.
The latch was exactly the same as I have used for loft latches. Screwfix part number 50530.

Brian Clarke
Attachments
Latch.jpg and
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:14 am

I have a new latch. It is called a "tutch latch".

The +2 has a metal braket that supports the tutch latch. I need to determine if the bracket is attached to the dash and the top - outside of the glove box or if the bracket is attached to the dash and the inside of the glove box.

I seem to remeember it was attached to the outside with the tutch latch inside the glove box and screwed through the fireboard of the glove box and into the metal braket.

I have learned that a restoration requires many more photos than I have taken.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:20 am

Bob, i hope you get the right part to finish your +2 glove box. I don't know if photos of my old glove box with latch is what you need, as mine is a elan S3 1967. Lotus seems to use parts on different models.
I just purchased a new dash. It has a different glove box hinge and has a keyed push release and I need the part that the latch grabs to keep it closed. It is close enough that I think the part can be attached to the back of the wood dash. I have never seen one to know what is needed.
Also, if anyone has the metal hinges as shown in the photos or knows where they can be purchased, I can finish the dash install.

Thanks for any help. Sarto
Attachments
DSC00050.JPG and
Keyed push release on the front face. (new dash)
DSC00001.JPG and
This is the old box latch and has piano hinges.
DSC00052.JPG and
The keyed push latch from the inside and needs something to grab on to.
DSC00051.JPG and
Hinges for both sides is what I need.
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:14 pm

Hi

I have a 1968 +2 which has the key latch, I have looked at quite a few cars and the key latch is correct for the +2 and the push latch is correct for the +2s 130.

Good luck

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:43 pm

The original latch on my +2 was the "tutch latch". I puchased one from a woodworkers supply company for 3 dollars or less. It is identical to the original. It is as pictured by Brian Clarke. It is also listed in the parts manual by its brand name of tutch latch. (If memory is correct).

The push latch pictured from the S3 Elan is a different latch.

My car is a +2 and not an "S" and had an original push latch.

I require a picture of aa +2 tutch latch installation. Pictured from the top and inside of the glove box.
Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john-c-elan+2 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:11 pm

glovebox & latch
Attachments
+2 glovebox catch.JPG and
john-c-elan+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi Bob

I stand corrected (slightly):D

In the Lotus Service Parts List it lists the +2 as the locking catch, but the +2 federal also has the Tutch Latch. Is yours a Federal? If so mystery solved :)

See item 17. It lists it as for the +2.

The next diagram shows the Tutch latch (item BBF.5.) as for the +2 Federal and the +2 S Federal.

So +2 has lock.

+2s and Federal has Tutch catch.

Sorted :wink:
Attachments
Tutch index.jpg and
Tutch Latch.jpg and
dash index.jpg and
+2 dash.jpg and
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:27 am

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate the assistance.

Yes my car is a federal car.

I see from the photo that the "tutch latch" is mounted onto the cardboard of the glove box so the metal bracket must be on the outside. It appears that the bracket is riveted to the cardboard box.

Thanks again.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: