72 Sprint (US) - body/chassis clearance

PostPost by: Stuart72Sprint » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:30 am

First - great job on the website makeover!!

This is my first post of many (I'm sure), after taking delivery of my first Elan, having been lusting after one since my teenage years - clue: this dates back to when Emma Peel (Avengers) and Jim Clark (excuse the sacrilege of quoting in the same sentence) were each driving one. Suffice to say I've been waiting a while....

So I hope to make use of the accumulated knowledge on the site as problems (opportunities?) inevitably arise. I bought the car from a well known Lotus fanatic in the NY area (I'm in Toronto, Canada) and it's been well looked after, though the last resto was a while ago.

The previous owner replaced the rear springs just before I bought it and hasn't driven it subsequently. The problem is that the RH rear wheel arch is sitting 2 inches higher than the left, measured from the top of the tyre.
Any ideas re likely causes???

Stuart
Stuart72Sprint
New-tral

PostPost by: Stuart72Sprint » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:36 am

I'm still trying to resolve this, but have drawn a blank thus far. Chassis is straight and I have loosened/re-tightened the outer bushes (under load). The top damper mountings seem OK from a superficial look (though original)
The distance from the road surface to the rear wheel arch remains 33" on the RHS and 31.5" on the left. The springs are apparently new OEM standard length - can anyone tell me what the correct measurement should be?
I've been focusing on the RH side, but maybe the problem is on the left.
Any advice? Is the only certain solution new springs and adjustable spring platforms? I have to renew the front SPAX anyway, as the adjuster on the LHS is shot, Advice also appreciated on whether to keep standard ride height or to lower by an inch? (The roads around here are not exactly billiard table smooth...)

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart
Stuart72Sprint
New-tral

PostPost by: Stuart72Sprint » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:54 am

P.S. Apologies - the respective heights are 23" vs 21.5", on 13"x5" Panasports and 165x13 Michelins. (Visions of Elan funny car dragster - ugh!)
Stuart
Stuart72Sprint
New-tral

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:08 am

Stuart,
I just measured the height on mine to give you a comparision, both rear are + - 21.3" on Pirrelli P4 155/80 x 13 tyres, original springs (to the best of my knowledge)
Are the fronts about equal as the fronts can effect the rear.
I think you should use the car for a while and give the springs/suspension time to settle, even though its a pain :cry: you could change the springs left to right just to make sure it is the spring giving the difference.
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:45 pm

Stuart, my Sprint measures 21.7" on 165/65 x13 Bridgestone RE92s. The springs have been on the car for many years. Do both springs look new, as the PO indicated? If all else measures out just fine, you might have to cut off a bit of a coil on the high one to get it down.

Or maybe its not seated properly in the spring perch. I believe theres a recess where the end of the coil goes, on both upper and lower perches.

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Stuart72Sprint » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:25 am

Thank you both. Yes - the springs do look new. The front RHS is roughly a quarter inch higher than the left, which is logical. I can't see any evidence that the springs aren't seated properly.
When I had the wheels off and the suspension under load (and the bushes loosened) I put a couple of bags of water softener salt in the RHS boot and another in the right seat (60lbs total). This equalised the heights left and right, so I re-tightened the bushes, but it went back to "normal" when the bags were removed.
Could the spring rates be mis-matched?
I suppose I'll just have to dismantle as you say and switch over. Winter project.
Stuart
Stuart72Sprint
New-tral

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:36 pm

have someone measure the hieght while your sitting in the car ---- ----the driver side is always a little higher ---to compensate for your weight ed :idea:
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Stuart72Sprint » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:39 pm

The driver's side is already lower, without me sitting in the car.
Stuart
Stuart72Sprint
New-tral

Total Online: