Carpet Set for an S2

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:06 am

I have a dark blue unused carpet set that was intended, I think, for an S4. I believe it should be one size fits all? And dark blue? Anyway, I'll sell it to the highest bidder? On Elan.net? Open to offers.

Gary, what suspension/chassis set up do you have? Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:15 am

Thats funny guys

So tonight I rummage around in tha back of the shop and I see a box labeled - to 1972 lotus elite and elan - I dump it out and behold !

I am headed for the 18yr old single malt - maybe I can find the Cosworth FVC I have always wanted under the tarps in the shed....

( BTW I have a role of the lotus jute , the real deal - it came with a S1 Europa ( for controvesy;s sake I think they called these S1A' or S1B's they have the removable windows and the wood dash - )
Attachments
elphant hide .JPG and
( BTW it was heavy and I weighed it - 30 LBS !)
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:47 am

It is heavy, and about $300 to air freight over here.

At least you can sleep easy now...the pressure was obviously building :D
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:57 am

Gary,
I trust the battery is well sealed or that Beauregard has acid repelant fur. :lol:
Roy
'65S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:01 am

Gary,
I trust the battery is well sealed or that Beauregard has acid repelant fur. :lol:
Roy
'65S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:36 am

Ii is not a sealed battery ($20 garden tractor battery) but Beauregard hasn't complained yet, He sometime backs up into those threaded rods (ouch).

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: FritzPasadena » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:32 pm

I've ordered a set of mats from JAE. What's the best adhesive to use when fitting the aligator texture trim bearing in mind the mats will need to be removed at a later date when the car is properly restored?

Thanks in advance!
FritzPasadena
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:06 pm

1964 S1 wrote:
Gary, what suspension/chassis set up do you have? Eric

Hi Eric
I am sorry I missed the question when it was asked, at the moment the S2 shown on the previous page has a Spyder space frame and the front suspenson has spyder control arms, 7/8" anti roll bar with stock drop links, spax adjustable shocks with adjustable platforms, 115 lb x 12 inch springs, the GT6/Knockon stub axles and uprights with 13 x 6 inch panasports with 34 mm offset, tires are 175/50 x 13 Old Pirelli P7's.
The rear has Spyder lower arms and the small diameter adjustable platforms and 140 lb 10 inch springs, Koni strut inserts, Dave Bean CV kit, TTR axles and hubs with 7/16 studs.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:16 pm

One of the many changes when an S2 SE was ordered versus the regular S2 was the SE came with carpets.

Should anyone need S1/S2 Seat Covers, Door Panels, Arm Rests, Center Console Pads, I have exact reproductions available.

If a picture is necessary, let me know what of and I'll check my archives.
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi Frank
I'm intrigued by the S2 S/E...there seem to be very few references to it, or any brochures. Is it just the old urban myth that they were only available in yellow? How far did the S/E spec extend....similar to the S3? That would have the tell tale signs of chrome strip along the sill, repeater lamps on front wings, S/E badge, K/O wheels, 3.55 diff as well as the cams, fabricated manifold and re-jetted carb. And not to forget the carpet in the trunk!

Some pictures would be great if you have any handy :D

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:29 pm

Don't forget that the Coup?s represent the first of the S3 line.... different bodyshell common to 36 and 45 types with/without roof, and overlapped the 26 series cars.
66 Elan fhc, 72 Elan Plus 2S 130/5, 98 Elise 2.0l Duratec
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:36 am

Geoff Howard?s S2 SE Elan, most likely a fairly original "late" SE S2, does anyone have an idea of how many were produced or is another mystery, Geoff seems to think "several hundred". This seems like a lot if it were introduced at 26/5282 and the last one produced 26/5798 as stated in the Ross-robinshaw book.
The Coupe and non SE type 26 were also being produced at the same time.

The photo below is interesting in that the S2 SE appears to be built on the later S3 (flat floor non ribbed) floor pan with the S2 top sides.

Interior looks to be original

S3 bonnet spring mount and wide radiator with the SE colored cam cover and sand cast head
more info at Geoff's site below
http://homepage.mac.com/geoffhoward/PhotoAlbum4.html

My friend Ray says he has a late S2 SE, I may have to get hold of him to see what other info he can supply to those that are interested.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:01 am

Geoff's car raises more questions for me! It does look super-original, from the photos on his site....BUT....
My old S2 was one of the last built (26/5803) and it had the ribbed floor. It also had the Marstone radiator and the double spring bonnet, where Geoff's has the S3 Triumph radiator and single spring bonnet. My S2 had been off the road since 1970 after a fire, and had never been repainted, so pretty sure it was original.

If nothing else, it goes to confirm something we all know about Lotus...nothing is certain!

So now I'm wondering at what pint did the S3 Coupe get it's Triumph radiator and single spring bonnet? I had 36/5246 a few years back, and that had the Marstone / twin springs.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Every time you think you know something, someone comes along and shows you that your thinking may be suspect. Remember Frank's post on his floor being flat?

elan-f14/elan-floor-ribs-t15095.html

We may have to re-think some other ideas too...
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:53 pm

Well, at some time the factory changed from ribbed to flat floors. If this co-incided with the introduction of the S3 (Coupe), then there would have been at least one moulding for a ribbed floor, and one for a flat floor when both S2 and S3 Coupe were being made.

I can't think that there would be any difference between a bottom moulding for a S2 compared to an S3....so maybe some S2 cars got the S3 bottom, and probably, some S3 cars got a S2 one.

Just a thought!
Attachments
bottommold.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: