Door re-assembly strategy

PostPost by: kcrossle » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:54 pm

The doors are off and all bits (including windows) are dis-assembled and waiting my attention.

Welcoming strategies / experiences / comments on re-assembly and mounting. I do have the shop manual, if people have found that to be best (but I don't expect it to include all the possible challenges that experience has brung).

Happy New Year!

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:01 pm

Keith, to ease the reassembly, I have a jig to hold the door. It consists of a curved piece of plywood with a soft covering. The curve matches the curve of the fibreglass shape. There are some protruding pegs at the bottom to take the weight of the door. The jig can be mounted in a Workmate or similar.

So far as the actual reassembly goes, there are some instructions on this forum if you do a search.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:15 am

If you took copious notes and pictures as you disassembled the door then it will be easier. The toughest part is the quarter light glass installation with new rubber and the waist trim and rubber installation.
All work inside the door i.e. latches locks and window motors will cut the backs of your hands and forearms.

Have plenty of curses on hand. It helps if you are fluent in cursing in several languages.

I can be of assistance with door assembly questions and cursing in several languages.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 pm

In addition to the curses, you will need a tube of antiseptic cream and a variety of band-aids. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: