Faired-in (26R type) headlights & HID conversion

PostPost by: ill_will » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:02 pm

After searching fairly unsuccessfully for info on the above issues, there are a few questions which some of the knowledgeable folks on here might know about:

- has anyone any B-road-esque driving experience with these? Any good, or is beam spread too limited?

- anyone have any recommendations for (modern) lights to use (maybe E30 BMW, guess these might be Hella?) Ideally needs to be dipped/full beam switchable (H4 type bulbs, or similar, might work I guess)

- and on suitable size: before I speak to TTR, does anyone know what size lens his kits take?

- I read that HID are bright enough on dipped beam to run without having a full beam (which I don't believe!); before I speak to the MOT man, does anyone know the legality/practicality of this?

Many thanks for your time, as always.

will
ill_will
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:45 am

My S4 still has the pop up lights but with a modern halogen H4 lights fitted. I find these more than satisfactory both on dip and full beam. IMHO no need to go with HID.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:53 am

I believe that the faired-in lights are not road legal as they do not meet the 24" height requirement, particularly on a lowered car. If they were, Lotus would probably have done away with the expense of vacuum operation... :wink:
My Elan is marginal on one (previously damaged & badly repaired) side as the beam is only just high enough to fall within the checking machine. And that's at 'standard' ride height :!:
It may be possible to meet thisrequirment if a small diameter (modern) light unit is used as I think the 24" height is measured to the lamp centreline... :?:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Will, the difference between dipped and full beam has far more to do with beam pattern than brightness, "colour" or output. This is the same regardless of Halogen or HID.

If you light the ground very brightly immediately in front of the car (eg when incorrectly using fog lights), the eyes ability to see further ahead and hence gain some reaction time is severely restricted.

Regards

Gerry

Note, Will should have asked. Are you after the faired in headlights because of their look, or are you just after better nightime driving?
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:34 pm

Strictly speaking, faired in 26R type lights are not legal for road use as they are too close to the ground thereby dazzling oncoming drivers. To get the same length of beam requires a higher angle of elevation.
This is why fog lights are only meant to be used in fog or falling snow.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi Everyone

I've been thinking about HID lights for my Plus 2 for a while now and a big advantage to my mind is that they only draw a relative low current (I think they're rated at about 30W), and that their light output is independent of voltage. This should be very useful if you're on original wiring and switches which were always marginal at best.

The down side seems to be the fact that they don't all have a dipping facility so can only be used as a main beam or, if they do dip, they have to use a solonoid to phisically move position of the burner. Whether or not this is a disadvantage I don't know. They're also of course much more expensive than normal filament bulbes.

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:06 pm

jimj wrote:This is why fog lights are only meant to be used in fog or falling snow.

...Or on boy-racer ex-shopping cars, Subarus, B*Ws, "SUVs" (monster trucks) etc at all times especially in broad daylight :!: :roll: Yes, as an Elan driver it's a pet hate of mine :evil:

ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:46 pm

Andy, its not such a big deal re-wiring your headlights with waterproof connectors to the pod harness, relays and fuses (get rid of the thermal cut-out devices) and really good earthing. You want to do this in any case even if you were to adopt HIDS. Current draw at 55/60W is not massive in any case. Choice of bulb can then be used to "optimise" the system. What condition are your reflectors in? What brand? Cibie's used to be the best but Ring have some interesting new stuff as well.
Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:54 pm

Will,
no experience of the Chinese eye lights, but I'm sure that they would give the same effect as my E Type with the glassed-in lights. The glass tends to scatter the beam, and what is normally a good light looks like yellowed torchlight. My E is fitted with Halogen lights, which are OK for bimbling along in the dark, but no really high speed stuff could be contemplated.

This of course may all be acedemic if they are illegal to use on a road Elan. MOT standards are getting much tougher and more rigourously enforced, with garages much less inclined to turn a blind eye, Chinese or otherwise

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:35 pm

I believe that HID lights must be self levelling to be legal
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 pm

"This is why fog lights are only meant to be used in fog or falling snow."
Of course this excludes all BMWs, toupe wearers, people with vanity number plates, anyone with a baseball cap on back to front, and especially anybody from Wilmslow.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:18 pm

I agree with all of the comments made so far.
I also use Halogen lamps in 7" units & am very happy with the results.
The faired in headlights use 5" units I think.
As far as HID is concerned, I think they should be banned.
They have a very sharp dipped beam cut off which in turn permits the dipped beam to be set very high.
I find this effin' anoying if you're being followed by such a car.
It seems like they are trying to flash you each time they drive over an undulation. Pain in the bum :twisted:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:28 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:MOT standards are getting much tougher and more rigourously enforced, with garages much less inclined to turn a blind eye, Chinese or otherwise

:lol: Nice one Mark :!:

ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:54 pm

jimj wrote:"This is why fog lights are only meant to be used in fog or falling snow."
Of course this excludes all BMWs, toupe wearers, people with vanity number plates, anyone with a baseball cap on back to front, and especially anybody from Wilmslow.
Jim

BMW: Not for Some years.
Toupe: Not for some years (I hope).
Vanity plate: It was 88 quid!
Baseball cap back to front: Only for that photo.
Wilmslow: Oi!!!!!

Actually my Eos has fog lights but I'm not sure how to switch them on.
:twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jkolb » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:00 am

Faired lights (Type 1) are 5 1/4" and use a halogen bulb. I don't intend to use mine at night, but anticipate that the angle of the lexan cover would cause a good deal of scatter. They were originally used for weight saving and minimizing complexity. Most people who have installed them, myself included, just like the look.

Jerry
jkolb
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: