Things hitting the bonnet..........

PostPost by: berni29 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:41 pm

Hi

On my car the radiator cap is contacting the bonnet. More annoying though is that the airbox does as well. The radiator has already had the hammer on the cap treatment in a fairly major way, so I will take it out and mount it a bit lower.

I wanted to take the radiator out and fit a kenlowe fan anyway so that is not so bad, but the airbox situation is a bit depressing! It is a standard early type, and the car is on a spyder chassis. Over time the radiator can push the bonnet up a surprising amount. I know because I have another plus 2 where it has happened. I do not want the airbox doing the same thing especially when the engine moves on its mountings.

Any suggestions for fixing the airbox contact appreciated!

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:07 am

Hello again

I have just noticed that the engine is definately sitting high on the carburettor side. Is that normal or do I need to adjust the engine mount on that side?

Many thanks

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: v7slr » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:09 am

Make yourself a backplate the same as the one you currently have (assuming it isn't integral to the airbox), but cut the throttle openings higher, which will mount the whole airbox lower. Piece of ali shouldn't cost more than a couple of quid (or dollars).
v7slr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:50 am

Berni,

On the assumption that the airbox is unmodified, I would investigate why the engine is sitting higher at the airbox side first. That seems to be the cause of why the airbox is hitting the bonnet. Are the correct engine mountings fitted? are they fitted correctly?

On the subject of your radiator cap hitting the bonnet, mine was doing that when I got the car. The radiator had been mounted to the front of the mounting brackets. When I moved it to mount against the rear of the brackets - problem solved. Check yours isn't the same.

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: curly type 26 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:05 pm

Just a thought but dont spyder use same mounts both sides is it poss that one lotus fitted making it to high. Or it may be that new chassis was never checked with engine in to check clearance and no packing fitted between body and chassis. i also think easy to drop rad down on mounts. Who needs summer holidays when you can work on a lotus? CC. :D
curly type 26
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:33 pm

No need to hack around with chopping bits out or taking hammers to anything. The engines fitted when new, even a 711M block fits with no bonnet mods. Something is definitely wrong.

Could it be a case of the new engine mounts mentioned here a few months back? If I recall correctly they make the engine sit *MUCH* higher. All the suppliers are (were?) selling the incorrect ones.
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:09 pm

Thank you all

The rad is mounted in front of the bracket, so I shall move it behind if I need to. There are mounting holes about 1cm lower down that I might try using first.

I will check the engine mounts. I have a few lying around for comparison so should be able to suss out where it is going wrong. I can always modify the holes on the engine mount if I need to.

I have a holiday coming up later this year, and although I need the rest, I would quite like to work on the car rather than go abroad. The wife would not understand I'm sure!

All the best

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: