Wanted Spyder Zetec Elan + 2

PostPost by: EMA7K » Fri May 08, 2009 1:34 pm

My Zetec has a six CD autochanger in the boot and has Peter Green with and without Fleetood Mac, the Moody Blues and Led Zep -back to 70's driving (on the right Cheshire roads) with modern reliablity.

Gareth
1974 Zetec +2
1972 Elan Sprint (EMA)
EMA7K
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Fri May 08, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi Spyderman

I visited Paul Matty's yesterday and saw what I believe to be a Zetec Elan + 2 in the showroom. There was a ?15,000 sticker on the screen but I didn't speak to anyone about it. From a very quick inspection it appears to be a tidy car. It may be worth having a conversation with them.

Good luck Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri May 08, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi Everyone

One thing that I would seriously consider if I were building a special and thats air conditioning. My Plus 2 gets stiflingly hot on sunny days, even more so than the Europa. Has anyone attempted fitting this?

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Sat May 09, 2009 5:30 pm

Andy, suggest you start a separate thread re the air-con. I'm sure that will elicite some contributions overall.

Myself, I've got as far a mounting up a Focus compressor to the installed Zetec engine.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat May 09, 2009 6:35 pm

andyelan wrote:Hi Everyone

One thing that I would seriously consider if I were building a special and thats air conditioning. My Plus 2 gets stiflingly hot on sunny days, even more so than the Europa. Has anyone attempted fitting this?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Give Richard Winter at "Banks" / "Europa Engineering" a call he has fitted Air Con' to Europa's & may be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tintin » Sun May 10, 2009 7:37 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:The biggest worry for me in owning / running a Spyder wouldn?t be the engine, chassis or suspension, it?s the meeting of the two different ages of technology. Most of them seem to have aftermarket injectors, ECUs, sensors, fuel pumps and regulators. All this lot is set up by some clever lads who know what they?re doing using software that is currently available. All these new bits have to be added into the wiring loom, which has to be substantially beefed up with relays to protect the circuits.

That's exactly one of the reasons why I chose to go the Zetec route - carbs are black magic to me whereas aftermarket ECUs are completely logical. I'm a child ot the digital era with a soft spot for old technology...;-)

However there was one major reason for me: My +2 was bought by a +0 enthusiast in order to get a spare engine. Chassis, suspension and wheels were FUBAR so the Spyder Zetec appeared highly straightforward to me.

Tim
--
1964 Norton Atlas - 1974 Lotus 130/5
Parts falling of these vehicles are of the
finest british craftsmenship
Tintin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon May 11, 2009 5:28 am

John

You cold try googling "Peltier"...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AndrewC » Mon May 11, 2009 6:34 pm

For those of you interested my +2 Spyder Zetec for sale on here -

elan-for-sale-f2/elan-spyder-zetec-for-sale-t18378.html

Hopefully that link should take you over to it....
AndrewC
New-tral

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue May 12, 2009 6:02 pm

Andrew,
The ride height looks right, not the usual Spyder 'off road' look. What suspension does it have?

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AndrewC » Wed May 13, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi Mike,

I have posted the same reply on the thread with the car advert on it - the suspension was the Spyder factory conversion so I'm not entirely sure how/why it differs from other conversions i'm afraid...apologies for not being any more help!

Andrew
AndrewC
New-tral

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu May 14, 2009 6:13 pm

Well it looks good Andrew. It shows they don't have to sit too high.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: New2Elan » Mon May 18, 2009 8:52 am

Hello all,
I am considering a purchase of a plus 2 - here in Athens Greece. I drove one just this weekend and enjoyed it a lot. I own a period twincam, the Fiat 124 spider at 1600cc also. I was impressed with the Lotus handling and power in comparison (though my Fiat is Ssssexy)

To the point of the Spyder converions. I see most of you discussing the engine and transmission conversion issue. I have a more specific angle. I like convertibles and I am afraid the +2s chopped off, would be structurally weak, possibly dangerous. Would the spyder space frame chassis offer a sound platform? I have found a nice spyder convertible +2s for sale, but with the original twin cam, big valve engine .

I agree with the originality engine issues, I love fussing with twincams, carburetors, the way they drive and sound so the only reason I am considering modification-anything is the top-off.

Any knowledge on this angle is welcome
-Christos
Attachments
rear3fourths.jpg and
top.jpg and
New2Elan
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: