Elan S2 Paintwork Colour Match

PostPost by: sinkyb17 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:33 am

I have a dilemma I need to resolve. Last year I purchased a 64 S2 (in remarkable unplayed about with condition) from an 84yr old gentleman up here in Scotland who had owned it for 34yrs. The problem is he had it repainted in the late 70's in Yellow (cellulose) but does not know what the coulour is. I have taken the bonnet to a few people up my way but they have not been able to match the shade to enable me to paint areas where the mismatch would show. Does any body have any smart ideas to enable me to match the colour. I have my own equipment (to COSHH standard) and would do any panels myself if the colour was correct.
I certainly do not want to get into 6.5k paintwork costs or crossed swords with pals as mentioned in the thread "New guy on the block" . It is really worth a read especially opinionated checkbook restorations.

Dave.
sinkyb17
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:04 pm

I use PPG paints and the supplier I use has a prophet reader that produces the match. I can't imagine that Sikkens or Glasurit don't have a similar machines. I think your real issue is going the lacquer paint.

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:15 pm

Most paint shops will still mix you up some cellulose for 'touching up' the bodywork There are some rules on selling it to Joe public, but the paint shops I use don't seem to worry about it too much.

As George says, you can get the colour analysed and a mix produced, but not sure how that may be hooked up with cellulose system. It may be better to find an old fashioned classic car restorer, chat him up and get him to obtain the paint for you to the right colour. Don't bother with the normal accident repair shops...if it's not in their computer, they don't seem to have a clue.

Does the yellow look like the 'normal' Lotus Yellow? That said, there were 3 yellow Elans parked next to each other at Donnington, and all three were different.

Totally agree with not going the full-blown and expensive paint job route...if the car just has a few sins and a couple of gel coat cracks, it can be brought up really well at home with a bit of carefull touching-in and blending. It's amazing what a difference getting the wheels and bumpers painted properly makes.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi Dave, All,
Looks like I am in for a roasting. I have put up an apology to Pete and everyone else I might have offended.(Mark..you are just too big!) Simple discussion just got a bit out of control. Soda blast or not? Full refurb of body or not. Remember, I went to same person as Pete 1st and he would not do my car as he recon'd to much for him so I was kinda goosed as to who/where to go. But you are right I should not have advertised on *****'s behalf. Lesson learned. I would have been more than happy not to have had to restore the car. I would have been VERY happy if it were in same condition as yours, but some hope. Remember me asking your advice? will I buy or walk away? Well a decision was made, helped by yourself and I don't regret it. I have had great fun doing it. But as you say I had to throw money at it. I got away with nothing. Even the radio went awol. I was commited, then I had no choice as I see it. I had to go the whole hog!

In my defence I will plead that I have been somwhat stressed out lately with my ticker problems and you may know I am off to ERI tomorrow re bypass surgery. This added to some awfull pills I am on, I am blaming for clouding my judgment somewhat. All I wanted to do was help. You know me. You know I would not do anything to hurt or upset anyone deliberately.

So... I have decided to cease posting/contributing to Elan.net for the forseeable. Once I get the op' over and done with I can have a look again. But for now Listening out only.

Once again I am very sorry for any offence caused. I hope you can forgive and at least acc' that I am man enough to stand up, take it on the chin and say sorry. I would be very gratefull if you try and help me patch things up with Pete.

Also.. I can hereby state that there will be no more chequbook resto's as I am completely skint!!

And Dave. (I know you wont!) but don,t go overboard on that great car. Its super as it is. Will you do me a favour and drive mine asap I want an opinion on how it drives...Feels fine to me, but its ages since I drove a lotus. Apart from this one that is

Alex B.(roke)...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: