Bonnet badge prices and different fonts

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri May 01, 2009 8:57 am

Hopefully you didn't pay 70 quid for it then! I wonder if the replacement might...anyway, we are waiting for news from Simon.....
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:03 am

msd1107 wrote:Does anybody know Mike and what happened to his website? He had some valuable information there.David 1968 36/7988

Mike was a poster on this forum for a while, Jun 05 - Sep 06, though he was probably more of an Excel man than an Elan man. The last email I can find for him is [email protected] if you want to try and get hold of him.

I know he lived near Wicken Fen in Cambridgeshire, in the same village as Peter Day.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Fri May 01, 2009 9:11 am

richgilb wrote:Hopefully you didn't pay 70 quid for it then!

Fitted by PO :(

I think I'll survive :) Perhaps it'll get the right one when it has its next restoration in 20 yrs time.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Fri May 01, 2009 9:33 am

Just checked and they are still available but the prices have unfortunately gone up.

Both green/yellow and black are now ?59.95 + theft so they are no cheaper now.

Sorry,
Simon
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri May 01, 2009 10:09 am

Cheers for that....isn't it more like ?5 for the badge, plus corporation theft plus health and safety theft plus fuel theft plus stealth theft plus MP pension theft plus more stealth theft and finally your 17.5% consumer theft. That'll be ?70, please. Kerching. Brown wins every time.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Fri May 01, 2009 10:59 am

A word of warning Gentlemen, on buying what LOOKS LIKE the correct badge from sellers on Ebay.

I bought one from the guy that sells them based in Portugal, last year. COMPLETE CRAP, and clearly not the one pictured in his auction.

I sent it back for a refund, and he duely? obliged.

As i have said before on here, YOU GETS WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri May 01, 2009 11:15 am

Hi Richard

I really can't see what your problem is. The badge is totally cosmetic and so if you don't want ?70 then don't. Your car won't run any the worse if it dosn't have the correct badge and most people here can tell a Spyder conversion so the correct badge is really immaterial.

As to why anyone would want an original badge, well I've seen quartz "Rolex" watches for ?20. If you're ok with one of these then ware it.

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri May 01, 2009 12:09 pm

It's about budgeting. I am respraying the car and had budgeted ?500 for brightwork. I am nearly up to ?800 now....a ?20 or more saving here and there means a lot to me. And I want the best bits I can get hold of.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri May 01, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi Richard

I apprieciate what you're saying. The good thing about the badge though is that it's external and so can be fitted any time you like. Obviously though you don't want to buy a cheap badge then be dissatified and wish you'd bought the better one in the first place. One suggestion though, if you are a bit tight, leave the badge off altogether for a while. After a respray paint can stay soft for quite a while (several weeks sometimes), screwing brightwork in place before it's fully hardened can often put marks in the paint if you're not careful

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri May 01, 2009 12:51 pm

Richsrd...I notice on another thread that you're taking the diff apart when all you need to do is paint it....just paint it! The diff in an Elan gives very few problems, and if it's OK then why go to the expense? Especially so if you damage the casing getting those shafts out!! You will probably save a couple of hundred quid not doing it, and de-rusting / painting the cast iron bit, and cleaning up the ally bit, is pretty starightforward. Any bits you get wrong can't be seen anyway, even when the car is on ramps!. Then you can get a nice set of gleaming badges...just what your re-paint deserves.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri May 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Not me on the diff....must be another Richard?
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Fri May 01, 2009 10:51 pm

slightly off subject but does anyone know where I can source an S2 badge?

Gordon
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat May 02, 2009 8:03 am

Sue Miller & Paul Matty have the S2 script and shield badges.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Mon May 04, 2009 11:11 pm

sadly neither Sue Miller nor Paul Matty have these available, anyone out there with one lying around (he asks optimistically)

Gordon
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: