What do you bolt the dash to?

PostPost by: kcrossle » Fri May 15, 2009 10:30 am

Sean - when I got into the "how do I do this mode" with the banjo, Sean at Spyder sent me one that they use. It's an off-the-shelf item from a hydraulics place that they make some sort of mod to.

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sat May 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks Keith. I'll get in touch and see if they can supply one.

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Thu May 28, 2009 1:47 pm

Hm, so, I've put the rebuilt heater in, and now can't push the dash up to the brackets. I was hoping to be able to move it backwards at the bottom slightly to avoid hitting the dash with the gear lever. Guess that won't be possible then so I'll have to get the gear lever out and modify it.

I'm a bit stuck with the dash and heater though, as I can't see what's in the wrong place. It looks like the wiring on the dash is fouling the fibreglass heat deflector. Cranked over crimp connectors would help, but the originals, on the original dash that I'm offering up, aren't cranked over. This is all the original setup as far as I'm aware, so there must be something amiss. I'll go out again after a cuppa and a biscuit...

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Fri May 29, 2009 12:42 am

Sean - does this give you any idea? I took a few more but didn't post because I'm not sure they especially tell you anything. Note - ignore the gear lever position - it's relocated for the Ford box.

Keith
Attachments
keith dash may 09.JPG and
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:01 pm

Hey all, I've got the gearlever and dash in place at last. The gear lever came back from that nice Mr Voigt re-manufactured to Sean Murray's spec. Looks really great with the dash in.

Next job is, of course, to take the dash and heater box back out, so that I can fit the windscreen wiper motor and other bits, and any felt that has to go in before installing new dash. I have a complete set of replacement bezels and glass to fit to all the dials. That'll keep me out of trouble for a while.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:15 am

Sean, with renewed gauges going in, did you get new o-ring pieces to go between the gauge and the dash? I have seen them on eBay, although I think I got mine from RD in the 'States. Was thinking if yours was in bits prior to re-assembly you might not know of these pieces. Anyway, good to replace to avoid scratches, etc.

Cheers!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:04 am

There is a high chance that I wouldn't know about the seals given the posts that I've been making recently :) . I have the rubber seals for the glass as part of the set of bezels. They look to be a very good fit. I've got to bend over the tabs on the back, so will need to come up with a way of clamping the side walls to avoid distorting the front, but otherwise they should be a direct swap.

I bought them from John Chadwick of MJC products, http://www.classicbezels.com. He sent me a sample to try on the speedo as I was concerned about matching the original ones, and let me keep that free of charge as an experimental bezel for bending over the tabs. Very helpful.

I think I have theh o rings that you mention also - will need to do a quick check now that you mention it...

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: