outer window seals on plus 2

PostPost by: phatmendus » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:41 pm

Hi If any one can help I am a bit stuck on putting my elan plus 2 together. I am not sure how the window seal which seals the base of the window and the door is fixed? The seal is just a strip of rubber and I would assume it is either bonded on or holes have to be made it it to fix it. Could somebody clarify? If it is the hole option where do I attach it to, and do I use screws or pot rivetts?

One other question.My battery cable runs through the the car body along the floor. is this correct and if so should it run undcer the sound proofing or between the sound proofing and the carpet?

All answers appreciated.

thanks

Simon

p.s may car is a 1971 2+2
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:44 pm

Hi Simon,

It took me a long time to come with a good solution to this problem.
originally the outer window seal ans the window felt strip were mounted with litle self tapping screws.
the screws went from the outside of the door and screwed in to the window frame, the seal and window felt squeezed inbetween .
on thew outside of the door the screw also held a clip to hold the stainless door waist strip in to place.
A very difficult setup and I changed it to the following.
I glued the felt to the window frame and i glued the rubber strip to the inside of the door.
I made some plastic clips to fit inside the door RVS strip and siliconed it to the outside of the door, no more screws, no risk to scratch your windows and all works well.
I think I used some kind of epoxy glue to fix the window felt to the window frame ( metal to metal) but it is very secure.
to fix the rubber window seal I used ados F2 and that also works well
the silicone to fix the outside strip does the trick as well and I think it will be hard to remove it, it is so well attached.
I do hope this info will help you and good luck!
I just finished my car ( complete rebuild ) and I love it, what a great car
(69 elan plus 2 stromberg)

Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: phatmendus » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:08 am

Dear Robin,

Thanks very much for your advise. It is a great help, and I think I shall do as you did.

Where abouts did you route your battery to engine wire? Did you go under the carpet or somewhere else. I ask this because it is very large to put under the carpet but thats were my one seems to run, is this normal?

Simon
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:29 am

Hi Simon,

I fixed the cable with little clips to the bolts that hold the inner steel sill into place.
At the moment I have not installed carpet yet but I either use underlay the thickness of the cable and leave a gap for the cable so you won't see the cable or I will just fit the carpet without any underlay so th cable will be slightly visible but tucked away in the sill edge which would not be a problem.
I hope this answers your question.
You could of course put the cable through your outside sill area but you need to drill some extra holes into the body work and you will need a longer cable.

Robin :)
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: