High Backed Elan Seats

PostPost by: adigra » Thu May 28, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi everyone.

My father in law recently purchased an S4 FHC which has a high backed driver's seat. In all other respects it's identical to a regular Elan seat except that it has a built in headrest (or technically neck rest as it's not quite high enough). We've been told that it's a Plus 2 seat, but all Plus 2s I've seen have plusher chairs... Also, period images of some US spec Sprints show them to have these seats. Can anyone shed some light on which models these were originally available in? And do you know if they are a straight swap in an Elan? I have to say it's fantastic to sit in, with just that bit more support for the neck and head, and it looks fantastic, especially in a FHC (in my opinion less so in the open car).

Unfortunately I don't have a photo at hand.

Regards,

Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Thu May 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Adi,

My car came from the factory with those seats.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Thu May 28, 2009 7:32 pm

Frank,

That's good to know because it confirms what I had thought based on the pictures of US cars. I wonder if it was a standard fit for the States. Thanks for the info!

Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Thu May 28, 2009 7:48 pm

I just found out that they are referred to as "federal seats" and were a legal requirement in some States. They are apparently also quite hard to find.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Fri May 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Yes those are 'Federal Seats' and they were required in the USA 1969 and after, as part of stricter safety regulations that took effect that year.

They may also have been used in the Super Safety cars which were transitional from the S3 to the S4. They are as easy or easier than the low back seats to find here in the USA.

Rob
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Fri May 29, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks Rob. Based on what you say it does make sense that they would be harder to come by in the UK than in the USA. I toyed with the idea of sourcing them for my S3, but knowing that they didn't appear until '69 puts me off it. Still, nice seats.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: