Webasto or Not?

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Well my excuse is that its raining , but I think he may be a company? Bingham Spares , possibly a car breakers
Here's the pictures I got
Do we think its savable?
Attachments
sun roof 004 forum.jpg and
sun roof 003 forum.jpg and
sun roof 002 forum.jpg and
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:48 pm

I'm in watching the GP, bit of a procession though...

Needs work alright, at least a new cover and treatment to the rust on the frame.

Deflector hinges would need chroming too.

I suppose it all comes down to what price he's asking.
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:01 pm

I presume "someone" phoned and did the deal!
Not guilty.

I thought about it but decided to wait until one pops up on Ebay attached to a roof so I know all the parts are there.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:08 pm

We may never know,I have a feeling I may receive an email tomorrow saying there's a lot of people interested in it!!!!!
I have no idea of a price as it needs so much work

GP humph........ I'm about to watch The Tale of Despereaux with the children!
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:26 pm

I tried phoning him on Saturday with no reply (for other bits...I don't want a sunroof!). I think he is a breaker, and guess he has weekends off....lucky chap.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rong » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:45 pm

Just a word of caution regarding Webasto roofs. I tried many years ago to remove a Webasto roof from a Rover P5 (long story) and gave up as the wooden frame was attached to the roof by twisted nails that refused to be coaxed or forced out. I'm sure that some of you guys out there will have done it but I just remember it was a real b*****d to salvage it.
As an alternative, I have an article about fitting a steel tilt and slide roof from a Ford Capri, the only problem is that when this article was written, there were plenty Capri's about as they were still in production

Rong
50/0775
rong
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:34 am

Is there no professional service that supplies and fits? Surely it is a reasonably sized market when you consider all the other car makes that have them. I reckon I would be OK at around a grand to get the assurance that it would be done properly with new shiny working parts. I wonder, however, that it could be more, hence all this salvage DIY talk, which would terrify me. I reckon I would cut a hole too big in my roof or something disastrous like that!
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi,

Yes the sunroof in the pictures is a britax unit. They were around at the same time as the Webasto, so are every bit as period. They were also fitted as standard equipment on MGB GT's. It (a britax unit) is held in place by a mixture of unique countersink screws and rivets, which have to be carefully removed.

I fitted mine, and it was not difficult, just needed nerves of steel, and remember the praises "you can always take off, but it is more difficult to put on", "and measure twice, cut once"! Stating the obvious, you have to be very careful it is square to the car and it's self, so the sliders don't jam. There is also no means of tensioning or adjusting the roof once fitted, so the distance between the boltholes for the rear plate and the front catch is critical. It would be worth to get the dimensions off the original car.

It definitely looks salvageable, and I have seen much worse. I can recommend a coach trimmers who could recover it for you, and would probably fit it as well.

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Tudor Webasto still manufacter new Webasto sunroofs (nothing to do with OEM Webasto roofs).

Peter Harvey fits them and will travel anywhere in the country to do so.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:16 am

Gerry
Would he come to France?

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john-c-elan+2 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:53 pm

Would he come to France ? I think he might as his phone number has a Dover code ?
01304 614412 or mob: 07956 292376........jc
john-c-elan+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: