under dash finishing panel

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:19 pm

Hi,

I am finishing my car from a ground up restoration and I am looking for some panels that will hide the side of the heater and curve upwards under the dash so all the wiring won't be visible.
Does anyone have any suggestions either to make it or is it available from one of the lotus outlets?
If so is the fitting accurate because I do have some bad experiences with repro stuff.
cheers

Robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:01 am

Hi Robin,

I've just covered a couple of thin fibreglass replacement underdash panels that I had with the car, and I believe were supplied by Chris Neils in the UK a few years ago.
http://62.73.160.224/acatalog/Christoph ... rk_23.html
about half way down the page. Worth calling to check availability though. Mine were untrimmed.

Miles Wilkins, Paul Matty's and Sue Miller may also be worth a call.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:00 am

Hi Niall,

Thanks for the info.
can you tell me how these panels are attached to the dash and do they fit properly?

cheers

robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:15 am

I'll take some pics over the w/end. I'm almost ready to refit.

They look as if they'll fit fine. They're so bendy, I can't see how they won't fit.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: poiuyt » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:43 pm

Dave Bean has them but the cost is high.

Steve B
Steve B.<br>1969 Elan S4
poiuyt
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:18 am

Hello Robin, the panels are attached to the dash using small chrome Phillips head wood screws (with dished chrome trim washers) into small holes in edge of the dash. Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 72plus2 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:15 pm

I tried to order some from Chris Neil a couple of months ago, but they no longer carry them because they were having problems with them.

I repaired mine by laying up fiberglass on the back. To repair the section with the fog lamp switches I had to make a tin form to lay up glass to. After that I re-glued the vinyl to the glass using some small plastic clamps from a dollar store.

There are some panels for sale on e-bay right now, but they are for the rear passenger area. Perhaps that seller, or somebody else has some to sell you. Reproductions are expensive, and I suspect the fit will not be perfect. Repairing a set isn't very difficult, and they are for the most part unseen.

Good Luck

Chris
72plus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: