What colour to paint my sprint?

PostPost by: richard sprint » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:31 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and being a bit of a originalist would normally continue with the original colour of Lotus yellow over white.

However I notice that many cars have been repainted in a colour other than the original on which it was supplied.

It has got me thinking (the shell is due for repaint at the end of the summer) so there is some time before making this decision.

My family are probably bored with my showing them the options (from photos of the various colours) so as a bit of fun I thought to see what the suggestions are from those who have the passion!

I like the bright colours and have closed down the options to red, pistachio and yellow all of them over white.

There do seem to be many in the red and yellow so I'm rather tempted to go for pistachio - I followed such a dhc along the Sussex lanes after the Goodwood festival a few years back and it was very fetching.

When I visited Paul Matty's a few weeks back they had all three colours and I came away with a neck and neck feeling toward the yellow and the pistachio!

Richard
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:39 pm

Well, given your short list it has to be monotone Lagoon Blue.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:09 am

richard sprint wrote:There do seem to be many in the red and yellow so I'm rather tempted to go for pistachio - I followed such a dhc along the Sussex lanes after the Goodwood festival a few years back and it was very fetching.
Richard

I would go the Pistachio, but in my case I was pretty much told it could result in divorce or wild revenge spending. :lol: Not for everyone for sure, but unique and in the period. Besides, the two tone Sprint blunts the shock. Notice Tawny did not make your short list; go figure!

Cheers!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:10 am

My Two Cent's Worth.
If you're not going original.... why not a solid body color of your liking? French Blue comes to mind, or solid BRG with some yellow trim, anything but Burnt Sand, two toned or not... Red and White reminds me of Tobacco.
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:41 am

The question of colour is down to personal taste in the end. However, a car painted in the exact colour it left the factory will be worth more than a car painted a different or even non-original colour, all other things being equal. Yellow over white is very nice, so why not go for it? Having said this, all the original two colour paint schemes for the Sprint are very nice and make the car stand out. It is classic period style.
Pistacchio Green is perky and bright, will look super I think.

Another thought goes like this: As a custodian of a classic car you are obliged to recreate the car as it was built by the factory. You "owe" that to the car and to the people who designed and built it and to the guy who ordered it in the first place. These cars are part of popular culture, they must be preserved in period style. Okay, this is a very strict view, but a there is something to it...

To sum it up:
You may paint the car in a different colour than it was built; this colour must be an original Lotus colour though.
You may not create you own paint scheme just because you happen to like this colour or that colour.

Jolly / cues critics who willl point out these cars got repainted early in their lifes anyway....
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: johnsimister » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:21 am

This is a very tricky question. Not red because of tobacco connotations. It's either original yellow or groovy Pistachio. I like Pistachio a lot; my S3 coupe (see the gallery) is in that colour all over and it's a great conversation piece. It's clearly not the original colour because the car predates Pistachio's availability, but it has been Pistachio for more than half its life. Normally I'd favour keeping a car its original colour, but when that colour is Burnt Sand, as mine was, it's not really an option.

You, however, have the advantage of a good original colour. I think you're also keen on originality, so if you went the Pistachio route you might, while enjoying your Sprint's new hue, have a nagging regret that you didn't keep it as created by Lotus. Verdict: stick with the yellow, for originality, continuity and the fact that it will still look terrific.

John
johnsimister
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:46 am

richard sprint wrote:
There do seem to be many in the red and yellow...

Maybe so - but only at Lotus gatherings. How many do you see out and about in everyday traffic? None would be near enough to the correct answer - and how many cars other than the Lotus Elan do you see in red-over-white or yellow-over-white? The square root of none comes to mind. 8)

Then again, you could always try painting it silver...
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:26 am

johnsimister wrote:You, however, have the advantage of a good original colour. I think you're also keen on originality, so if you went the Pistachio route you might, while enjoying your Sprint's new hue, have a nagging regret that you didn't keep it as created by Lotus. Verdict: stick with the yellow, for originality, continuity and the fact that it will still look terrific.

Richard

I'm with John on this, though I fully recognise your right to paint your car any colour you wish!

I also like that saying 'A car is only original once'. In fact, I noticed the other month a short review of a book on American cars with a similar title in one of the mags. Nothing like driving a car with the patina of the 1970s on today's roads - except perhaps a 1930s Bugatti or Frazer Nash!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richard sprint » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 am

I can well imagine turning up at the paint shop still undecided with my heart set on Pistachio but hearing 'yellow' pass my lips...

This whole rebuild project has been absorbing and fascinating probably need a second one to perfect the experience - probably one in Pistachio and probably a series 1 with hub caps and round rear lights.....

Thanks all for your comments.

Richard
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:03 am

An S1 as a project ---- you should be so lucky!!!!!!!!!!!
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:04 am

Pistacchio on the baby Elans for me....I am however about to spray mine in this colour.....as you can see, originality is not a priority for me! I also had the last minute change of heart at the paint shop....I saw the Mito flash past me on the M1 on Friday and rang them up immmediatley to tell them to cancel the paint order I placed with them! Sleepless nights all the way when you are not absolutley convinced about your choice of colour and the deadline looms. I would have been gutted if I had seen the Mito blue for the first time if I had just had it finished in a Mazda blue.
Attachments
mitos.jpg and
Last edited by richgilb on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:16 am

Keep it yellow, Richard!! This is one of the last brochures produced for the Sprint, and the colour the factory selected to show the car off was of course YELLOW. The Pistachio, as fab as it is, is consigned to the back sheet.

YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW YELLOW.
Attachments
72 Sprint front.jpg and
72 Sprint back.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richard sprint » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:42 am

I wondered what the little Alfa was called - noticed one in a car park and very much like its appearance a little quirky/retro.

Brian

I know it would be very lucky to find one but must be some around?

Was it a Donovan song - 'they call me mellow yellow' or am I going Pistachio 'nuts'
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:46 am

'A car is only original once'

I quite like that as a quote, our cars are now so old that many of them have been re-incarnated several times; to say the least mine which went through a metamorphis under my evil hands.
I did however retain so many of its original parts that it could be returned to a sensible form of originality.
(He says pleadingly to "the majority")

As far as colour is concerned, my S4 was various shades of yellow all at once.(Not so great paint repairs over the years)
My then wife nicknamed the car "Acne"
Upon seeing the rebuilt "Blue" car she asked why I'd changed the colour? :roll:
Well you fathom it out, I gave up years ago :lol:

Good luck in your colour quest, I hate to admit that the most difficult part of the extensive rebuild was the choice of colour.
Not so "Butch" are we :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:20 am

I wonder if any ultra purists also decline to update their homes, their wardrobes, their diets etc. 'Fill the parafin lamps, Ethel - I'll get the coal and we'll have a nice corned beef and suet dumpling dinner. By 'eck, me britches are in need of a ruddy good darning!'
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: