Colour Suggestions for Respray :)

PostPost by: peterako » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:48 am

Hi,

My +2 is in desperate need of a respray and I'm going to bite teh bullet in July and get it done :)

It's currently Tawny with a Gold Specled roof, which I quite like....

But I've also been impressed by silver, JPS, Red, White with Silver Fleck roof etc.

It'll be a personal choice, but any suggestions or pictures from fellow +2 owenrs to guide me?

Thanks in advance,
Peter
Attachments
Elan2S130GroupLotus.jpg and
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:45 am

Peter,

The first question is whether you want an original colour. Then, do you want a metalflake roof. Finally what colour suits the car best. All personal taste, there are owners who like all the colours.

I'm considering a variation on silver. Silver looks good but I'm either going for more of a gunmetal colour (like current Elises) or a metallic light blue. I'm not going for the metalflake.

Part of the reason is that my car will be a Zetec not an original car. Many of the original colours look good but are period colours, I've tried to ignore that and decide what actually looks best in 2009. That's the sort of daft compromise you get into if you start modifying the cars. Perhaps orignal is not so much best but rather it's easiest.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:18 am

Peter

Lagoon Blue ....has to be!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure about silver roofs as I quite like the look of the earlier solid colour cars.

All the best

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:39 am

Hi Peter

Where did the picture come from, It's exactly like my car

As far as colours go, Lagoon Blue and silvermetal flake looks brilliant but everyone does that. As an alturmative, if you want somthing bright and colourful then Carnival Red or Yellow both look good with the silver roof. If you fancy somthing more with a bit more class, then there's Regency Red or Black overall

However, if you're brave, I think White with the silver metalflake roof could be the one to go for. It might help keep the inteior a bit cooler too.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:07 am

Hi Andy,

Can't remember where I got the pic from (Lotus Group?), but it's the exact colour scheme of my car at the moment....minus the bubbling, cracks....dull parts etc :)

Blue....hmmm.... :)

Gun metal :D

Will chat today with the guy who's doing it.

Thanks,
Peter
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:41 pm

I always thought the silver roofs looked best on white cars as it is not too 'in your face', but some like that..

I have an original brochure with the car in that scheme and I think it looks cool. If I can get access to a scanner sometime I'll try and put it up in the archive.

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:19 pm

Check out the thread elan-f14/what-colour-paint-sprint-t18643.html and find out how you will be vilified by the hairdesser baby Elan owners if you don't keep it original. I am also currently spraying mine in a silver variant all over- blue from an Alfa Mito. Apparently, it is going to look ridiculous, horrendous and gay :|

Great to hear of another +2 being kept away from the talons of hairdressers!
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:27 pm

Oh, Rich, and I thought we were having so much fun. But I had to respond to your quip about originality nuts (what is a wardrobe anyway) and your erroneous signature strap-line. And surely hairdressers don?t have talons?

Now then, Peter. Here are some less obvious colour choices to have a look at. A very rare colour is the Roman Purple?only came out towards the backend of Plus 2 production. Looks ace in real life, enhanced with a silver glitter-ball roof.

Greens seem to suite the Plus 2, especially Pistachio. The one in the picture is Laurel Green, again, a very rare one, and only on later cars.

Whilst I like my JPS Plus 2 very much, the gold glitter is very 1970s. In fact, some 30 or so got their roofs painted black from new as they couldn?t be sold. I wouldn?t change it because it?s a JPS, but my old all-black car looks even better, I think.

Colorado Orange has to be a contender, and like the red, pistachio and yellow, they?ll see you coming. That?s not such a bad thing, as our cars are pretty small compared to moderns?..dark greens, blues and black may just make them blend into the background.

One of my favourites, but I haven?t seen it on a pre-1970 car, is the Wedgwood / French racing blue.

And if you can?t make your mind up, how about all the colours?

Mark
Attachments
L21a Roman Purple.jpg and
zLaurel Green.jpg and
zBlack.jpg and
zcolorado.jpg and
z Wegewood.jpg and
Multicolour Elan_+2.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:55 pm

I think the bottom one would look better on a baby Elan.....
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dmode » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:28 pm

Hi Peter

Keep the tawny colourscheme. There is allready enough lagoon blue cars out there! Tawny spells seventies cool. So if you are brave, and fancy something, that the other boys do not have tawny is the thing. I love my tawny and tatty Elan :wink:
Attachments
22062009182-kopi.jpg and
Regards

Claus
serial classic car buyer, found inner peace in a Chapman creation
http://auto-entusiast.blogspot.com/ It is in Danish, but there are some nice pics though ;o)
dmode
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:47 pm

Common mistake :D = AMY 2H (furtherest from the camera) is French blue not Wedgewood blue. I parked my car along side it and spoke to the owner who had recently had it resprayed.

I like the solid colours; the Laurel green is great or yellow or silver is nice. I like my colour which I believe is Wedgewood blue (nearest to the camera).

Jason
Attachments
Blues2.JPG and
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:00 pm

Jason, I think I'm going to have to strip a bit of paint off chassis 24 to see what colour it is under there.....for now, it's light blue!!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:16 pm

for now, it's light blue!!

It's not easy to tell unless you put them together. I thought mine was the same as AMY 2H until I pulled up along side. AMY 2H is quite a bit darker, I spoke to the owner and he confirmed that the spray shop had said it was French blue. I am calling mine Wedgewood blue as I bought a can of Triumph Wedgewood blue and it is close but not an exact match. Until I get my double garage and get around to fixing it I am guessing at Wedgewood blue (for now). :D

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richard sprint » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:43 pm

The black car shown looks the best!

Now wheres my flak jacket...

Richard
richard sprint
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:46 am

Elanintheforest wrote:And if you can?t make your mind up, how about all the colours?Mark

Now that's a hairdressers car! :twisted:

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: