Colour Suggestions for Respray :)

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:47 pm

My +2 is painted in Royal Blue, it's a period Lotus colour but not sure if its original for the +2 as I have never seen another... anyone know?

My original colour was French Blue and that's what I am tempted to paint it again when I get enough stone chips and car parking marks.... Is it just me or do people have much less respect for other peoples property these days? or am I just getting old and grumpy :?

Blue's of all shades look good on a +2, not sure if I like the 70's metalflake silver over blue, but two tone cars can look stunning

Good luck with your choice..... remember it is your choice after all :wink:
IMG_4497.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:59 pm

[quote="Spyder fan"]My +2 is painted in Royal Blue, it's a period Lotus colour but not sure if its original for the +2 as I have never seen another... anyone know?

If going the route of a non genuine blue, a current Nissan shade, INTENSE BLUE, is fabulous and would look superb on a +2, if you can live with telling people your Lotus is painted in a Nissan colour. :oops:

Mark S.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:08 pm

1972 that will be a Datsun blue !
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:17 pm

I am taken by the Laurel Green.
Last edited by M.J.S on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:02 pm

Mark,

I am with you on most of those on your wish list. My Zetec is being refurbed with XJS seats, I am waiting for pictures of Spyder's anthracite minilites with polished rims and I spoke to that guy in Dover about the Webasto last month....?1200. Oh, but it has to be in mohair, so that'll be another 90 quid please. So that one will have to wait.

I don't reckon the +2 will look right with a waistband and two-colour scheme, though. Don't think the nose finishes high enough to the tail. Has anyone ever seen one?
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: freddy22112211 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:59 pm

next suggestion:
Gordon
freddy22112211
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:21 pm

richgilb wrote:I am waiting for pictures of Spyder's anthracite minilites with polished rims

Something like these?

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: inxs » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:44 am

Carnival Red for me, we have a saying in Australia "red ones always go faster"

Regards Darren
Attachments
collinsgrove small.jpg and
collinsgrove small.jpg and
inxs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:13 am

Yes, exactly like those....I'll also be asking Andy why your car is so low for a Zetec when I speak to him. Or did you build it yourself?

Rich
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:52 am

I did build it myself, and in fact I've just raised it about 1/2-3/4" as it was too low, kept scraping the exhaust. It's much better now and still looks 'normal' for a plus 2.

The Springs and Dampers were supplied by Andy, so I don't think they're anything special, at the moment they're about 3/4" off the bottom of the adjustable spring platforms on the dampers.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: normanjsmith » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:47 am

I was interested to see that there are still some Burnt Sand +2's over there and surprised that someone actually likes the colour. I believe my 1968 model, chassis 50/1072, is the only Burnt Sand example of about forty in Australia. The understated look appeals to me and even after 37 years' ownership I've never felt the need to change colour.
Norm
normanjsmith
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Tintin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:49 am

dusty wrote:Are you going to take it back to the fibreglass? There is a chap in Cork who does soda-blasting

My car is currently soda-blasted here in Germany. I allready got back the lamp pods and doors and it really works well, the gel coat is only slightly rough after the blasting and the part looks really good and ready for doing a proper paint job with just a little bit of filler needed. IMHO the best way to take it back to the gel coat. I don't have the final price yet but it will be in the region of EUR 1500 for the whole car (including the interior and the engine compartment). If I use this as a basis for calculating an hourly rate for sanding it down....;-)

However there's one very big hint which the guy who's doing it has been very keen on pointing out: The soda leaves a very nasty residue - and I don't mean the easily visible white soda powder which will stick to the parts - on every substrate which has to be washed off thoroughly before any further layer is applied. If that is forgotten no filler or whatsoever will stick and the paint job can be peeled of easily. In order to wash it away appearently the best thing is lots of hot water at relatively low pressure - preferably on a hot summer day. The water needs to have a sutible solvent for an alkali in there, e.g. some kind of vinegar or the like. There's some dedicated products, e.g. something called "hold tight 102" etc.

HTH

Tim
--
1964 Norton Atlas - 1974 Lotus 130/5
Parts falling of these vehicles are of the
finest british craftsmenship
Tintin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi

I was interested to see that there are still some Burnt Sand +2's over there and surprised that someone actually likes the colour

Really, I am surprised by that. If you buy a new sports car that is not red or yellow most 'normal' people would consider you weird. I bought a 1968 Lotus +2 because I always wanted one even though most of my friends were buying sport BMW's and Audi TT's. If you buy a 30+ year old lotus you are not normal and who wants to be 'normal'. :D

I would love to see some pics of your Burnt Sand +2.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: daveG » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi,
I've just joined Lotus Elan.Net and am in a long (ten years and counting) restoration of a 1968 +2. I scraped four colours off the car and decided to go bright. It has changed from original Lagoon blue to Lotus Yellow.
Cheers
DaveG
daveG
New-tral

PostPost by: richgilb » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:10 pm

I've just taken 4 coats off mine too....red, green, red, then claret. 130 hours lost and hopefully about 5kg in paint!
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: