Colour Suggestions for Respray :)

PostPost by: davidj » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:52 am

When I chipped the paint of my car I discovered it was once dark blue/silver. The divide was at bumper height similar to an Elan Sprint. It had also been black and originally red. It is now red again, but Dodge Viper red which is rare in the uk, similar to the original red but a slightly deeper more modern colour.

However, I did not consider light blue........

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: normanjsmith » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:15 am

I would love to see some pics of your Burnt Sand +2.

Jason[/quote]

As you can see the car has not been used for many years and is in need of a little attention.Screen rubbers have badly deteriorated, hydraulics have either gone gooey or seized and all suspension bushes need replacing.Hope to make a start on it before I also become too old and decrepit.

Norm
Attachments
P1080017.JPG and
P1080016.JPG and
P1080014.JPG and
P1080012.JPG and
normanjsmith
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:41 am

Looking good, Norm. Is that the original paint? If so, it's a very rare survivor, and as it's been with you for 37 years, deserves to be fettled back to service! I bet it wouldn't take much to get her going again.

You must be one of the most remote Elans in the world...closer to Brisbane than Sydney I seem to remember? Now it's getting a bit cooler in the day, get her outside and give her a good wash and polish...that'll get you inspired to get some bits and pieces ordered up!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: normanjsmith » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:39 am

Mark

No, the paint is not original. I repainted it back in the mid seventies and still clearly remember spending several days with gloves, steel wool and thinners scrubbing off all paint back to the gel coat.

Norm
normanjsmith
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:22 pm

looks great Norm :D

I think the Minilites look great, I do like them on the +2.
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:36 pm

Well....after originating this thread a while ago...and after many great suggestions....

work has started on my car in prep. for respray.

AND...I still am not decided on a colour.

My 'until I say otherwise' colour at the moment is gun metal grey.....but....well, I still have time :)

In answer to Jon's question earlier:

Paul is bring it back to the Gel Coat and doing any necessary repairs.

Car should be clad in its new colour(s) next week!

I'l post pics as soon as she's ready!

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:53 pm

I think gun metal grey will look fantastic on a Plus 2. I think most dark colours suit a Plus 2 more than they do an Elan.

I know it's the default choice but I love the JPS scheme on both the Europa and the 2. I don't know if this one belongs to anyone on the board, but I saw it at Silverstone on Saturday and thought it was fantastic:

My S3 FHC was just resprayed in Wedgewood blue, but it's slightly lighter than the colour on the Plus 2 posted earlier in this thread. I haven't seen the car in the flesh myself yet, so I'm going off the photos the restorer took, but it certainly seems very pale (and I love it).

Best regards,
Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:15 pm

Wedgewood blue, but it's slightly lighter than the colour on the Plus 2 posted earlier in this thread

Hi

Yes my car is lighter in real life. :D

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Hi Jason,

Photos of your car posted a while ago were a big influence on my decision to go with Wedgewood blue. So I owe you a thank you! The colour on my car (in the photos I received) is lighter than in the pictures of yours, but yours were taken in daylight, while mine are in an artificially lit workshop, so the difference makes sense (as you can tell I've been overthinking this quite a bit). Once I pick it up I'll take some better photos and post them.

Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi Adi

It is very difficult to tell the colour from a photo, I love the Wedgewood I hope yours turns out how you expect it.

Pic attached of one of the pictures from Ebay that sold it to me. :D

Jason
Attachments
car1.jpg
car1.jpg (19.82 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:06 pm

Jason,

Ah, that is much closer to mine. I think it might be spot on actually. It's nearly ready to be picked up (it's been in the shop for three months now), so I'll report once I have it. Then onto restoring the instruments...

Best,
Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:29 pm

I know its an old thread, but my kids have been playing with photoshop.... Any colour you like.. even the pink one looks good!

Jeremy
Attachments
SIMG0015.JPG and
pink lotus.jpg and
orange lotus.jpg and
green lotus.jpg and
blue lotus.jpg and
Last edited by JJDraper on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:35 pm

Burnt Sand must be a naff colour on any but....a Lotus Elan Plus 2. Especially the early ones sans driving lights.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:35 am

JJDRaper.....Cool!

There was, when I went looking for a +2, an all-over purple Elan +2 for sale in Cork, Ireland :)

Wegdewood Blue.....

6 or so layers down and my car was originally....Wedgwood Blue :)
(Will do the DLVA thing some day and see if that was really the original colour)

The layers above are all the Tawney.

Peter
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: