Any photos of +2 alloys in bare silver, not painted black?

PostPost by: M.J.S » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:37 pm

Does anybody out there have a photograph of a +2 alloy, preferably on a car, that has been left in its bare silver alloy and not had the inserts painted black? Or one refurbished and recoated/painted in the one colour?

Just a little plan going through the grey cells and would like to know how they look; Lambo Muira 8) or 70's Autoplas :oops:

Thanks

Mark S.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:02 pm

Some years ago I had the alloys on my plus two stripped and laquered clear they looked great on the car which was painted BMW fern green.
Unfortunatley I dont have a photo

Regards :wink:
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:37 pm

I think they look too fussy being unpainted.

They also make a Plus 2 look a bit tatty somehow. Look at this JPS...a perfect car in all other respects, let down by those wheels :roll: .

Mark
Attachments
zjps2.JPG and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:35 pm

This is a picture of my car circa 1996 before its respray, I think the wheels are painted Gold or perhaps dirty silver?
I have some older pictures of the car from 1989 still with the same wheels - perhaps original??

Terry
Attachments
Car in Yellow.JPG and
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:45 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:I think they look too fussy being unpainted.

They also make a Plus 2 look a bit tatty somehow. Look at this JPS...a perfect car in all other respects, let down by those wheels :roll: .

Mark

I'm not so sure it's the wheels let that one down Mark, I think the rear number plate has gone a bit discoloured and draws the eye. :lol:

Mark S.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:12 pm

terryp wrote:This is a picture of my car circa 1996 before its respray, I think the wheels are painted Gold or perhaps dirty silver?
I have some older pictures of the car from 1989 still with the same wheels - perhaps original??

Terry

Gold alloys on a yellow car. Now there's an idea. :wink:

Mark S.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:26 pm

It's an idea, but not a very good one.

Here's your car with the stripped wheel......used to belong to Simon who posts on here from time to time.

Mark
Attachments
DSCF1941.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks Mark.

It's been a long day and my eyes are tired, but does that yellow car have oatmeal trim? Now that's almost as bad as my idea of gold wheels :shock: Didn't know they ever did LO7 with anything other than black seats.

Mark S.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:55 pm

I have not seen Simon's old car for ages. Have you any other pics? As I remember it was a cracker. Simon still has a red and a brown (tawny) one; but I did like the yellow one.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:47 pm

I liked it too...should have bought it! He's pretty handy with the camera, and I really like these pics of the car...I'm sure he won't mind me sharing them. It wasn't the original colour for the car, which wrangled with Simon...he is a perfectionist. Two pics show the unpainted wheels....so we're still on topic!!

There were a few L07s with Oatmeal trim, Mark...I prefer black as well.

Mark
Attachments
zfront.jpg and
z front 1.jpg and
z rear.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dmode » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:53 pm

I really like the unpainted alloy wheels. Especially on a car in bright and light colours. Have anyone ever fitted wire wheels to their +2?
Regards

Claus
serial classic car buyer, found inner peace in a Chapman creation
http://auto-entusiast.blogspot.com/ It is in Danish, but there are some nice pics though ;o)
dmode
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:13 am

dmode wrote:I really like the unpainted alloy wheels. Especially on a car in bright and light colours. Have anyone ever fitted wire wheels to their +2?

I Love the idea of chrome wires on a +2 but the website of top wires manufacturer MWS states wires won't fit an Elan because of the peg drive. Having never owned another car with knock ons I couldn't say what the difference is between an Elan and say, an MGB, but I'm sure there must be a way to modify the hubs. There are enough wire wheel conversion kits out there for MG's and Triumphs. It has to be an attractive alternative to yet more Minilites, which I'm still not convinced suit Elans.

I did see a photo on this forum of a very early baby Elan with rather clumsy 13 inch wires and it didn't look too hot, but I'm certain 14 inch chrome 72 spokes with 185/60's on a +2 would look very cool. Ferrari 275 GTB Long Nose springs to mind.

I've heard it said hard driving distorts wires, as does too much torque (the MGB GT V8 had alloys because of this - although that doesn't tally with many a big engined GT in the 50's and 60's), but treat your +2 with a little respect and I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem.

Mark S.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:11 am

... Here :
Definitly not so nice than original color sheme.
Christian.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:18 am

Old English White wrote:... Here :
Definitly not so nice than original color sheme.
Christian.

Doesn't look too bad, although perhaps not best with the Lagoon colour. I think refinished in a brighter, polished look would be nice.

Mark S.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:54 pm

M.J.S wrote:Gold alloys on a yellow car. Now there's an idea. :wink:

Mark S.

Here is a pic of them in gold. Sorry, can't supply a yellow car. :D
Attachments
elangoldknwheels 001.jpg and
Mike