Rear parcel shelf clips

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi there,
I have just bought some new metal rear parcel shelf clips from Sue Miller.Question is......Can the clips be replaced without removing the rear screen. (Got a bad feeling about this...)

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:06 pm

Ooh that's useful to know - mine were all rust when I took the screen out - I'll get some too. I can't think how to replace them without removing the screen, but I recall it was actually quite easy to take out. I haven't tackled putting it back in yet though. You may find that after removing the sealing strip it's possible to pull the screen out slightly at the bottom.

There must be a few here that have tackled this before.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi

I have not done this myself but I think I remember this coming up on here before. Sorry; if I remember correctly the screen has to come out.

Hopefully some else who has done this can correct me. :(

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:12 am

The clips are clipped over the lip of the screen frame, so yes, I think the screen needs to come out.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: blackandgold » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:26 am

Just to confirm I replaced the rear screen rubber in my car and noted that the clips in question can on be changed with the screen removed as they sit in the fibreglass suround if you have to remove the screen and rubber why not replace the rubber at the same time if is old as they tend to deteriate and leak with time
Mark

1973 +2 S130 with BDA
blackandgold
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:38 am

Clips? What clips?.... Any pictures?

Nothing on mine when disassembled. Perhaps I need to speak to SM before the glass goes in..

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:01 am

You can just see the clips on the left hand side of this picture of my rear screen frame.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:25 am

These clips are from an Elan Coupe, part number 36 B 0540, I would guess that they may be the same.

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:40 pm

This is obviously why my parcel shelf was always a bit wobbly! I will incorporate the correct fittings in the ongoing rebuild. Many thanks for the heads up..

Makes me wonder how many other bits are missing from the car. If you don't know its supposed to be there you miss it on the parts drawings, unless its vital. This falls into the category of "surely Colin could have stopped the parcel shelf wobbling, oh well, get used to it".

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:29 am

Saved again by the net--just shy of putting in rear window and thought these pieces went to my also apart S3. Niall, could you send picture that does close up of the seat belt. Thanks. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:40 pm

Incredible timing for me, too. Just days* away from putting the glass in!

Keith

* that would be "Lotus Project Days"; a unit of time possibly different than that moet people are familiar with.
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:47 am

Per the Plus 2 parts manual, the part number cited by Gary is correct - 36 B 0540
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:05 am

Looking closely at photos of a parcel shelf that popped up on Ebay I see that there are five rust marks at the rear edge which means there were five clips. Is this correct?

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:17 am

Jeremy,

When I spoke to Sue Miller about the clips,she was unsure whether the plus 2 has 5 or 7 clips-she sent me 7. I don't think that 2 extra can do any harm.

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:29 pm

I managed to forget the clips before fitting the rear screen to my +2 back in its twin cam days. Luckily as I had fitted a new seal I found that the rubber was flexible enough to allow me to get the clips in by carefully prising up with a flat bladed screwdriver, not sure I would recomend doing this with an old seal as it would probably make it leak.

Good luck

Alan
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: