Rear parcel shelf clips

PostPost by: rjaxe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:13 am

The rear parcel shelf on my car was loose and had drooped a good inch below the rear screen rubber. There were no clips in evidence so I used the upright trim panel behind the petrol tank to support the shelf via a couple of screws through this panel into the shelf wooden reinforcing strip. Works fine and no need to disturb the rear screen.
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:48 am

Hi

Purists won't like this but I simply bonded in some stainless brackets at suitable intervals. They've been in around 27 years. If done properly they look perfectly ok and dare I say are much better than the original idea.

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:19 am

That previous post noting "wood trim" to screw into raises a further question--mine is the usual board like the door backing, maybe thicker, but then there were plywood cutouts at the ends bolted to the regular board and fashioned to accept and support a 5 1/4 inch speaker at each end. Is this factory?--manual shows maybe rectangular holes perhaps 6 x 4 inches and my wood pieces have these ugly exposed bolts showing in the vinyl. Is the vinyl surface unbroken save for the speaker grills? Thanks, Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:54 am

This thread makes me wonder - and since the car, the parcel shelf and I are currently in three different places I'll have to ask:

1. Does the tray sit on (and clip to) the body?
2. Is the tray under the body and clips on (that would be a poor design, I'd think)?
3. Is the tray adjacent and they're clipped together? (also flimsy)

So it should be #1 but I thought I'd check.

Thanks

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:27 pm

kcrossle wrote:This thread makes me wonder - and since the car, the parcel shelf and I are currently in three different places I'll have to ask:

1. Does the tray sit on (and clip to) the body?
2. Is the tray under the body and clips on (that would be a poor design, I'd think)?
3. Is the tray adjacent and they're clipped together? (also flimsy)

So it should be #1 but I thought I'd check.

Thanks

Keith
Attachments
on.jpg and
the shelf sits apon the clips
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rjaxe » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Gordon there are two crosshead screws holding down the front of the shelf just behind the rear sear backrest, that is all the attachments that show. From underneath it looks like the parcel shelf is made from hardboard, the wooden reinforcing strip at the rear is approx 1" square, I have not determined how the two are joined or how the speaker area is configured. I can easily remove the shelf and post more pictures if it helps.
Attachments
IMG_0047.JPG and
IMG_0046.JPG and
Richard
rjaxe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:59 pm

Thanks for the pictures and info. A not an overly robust solution it seems* but I don't expect to be carrying too many large "parcels" back there anyway.

Another (!) question - are there any other critical dependencies yet to be discovered? Everything in the interior is out; I think the general order goes something like:
o headliner
o dash and pad
o front glass
o rear tray
o rear glass
o other interior panels & rear seats
o carpet
o seats
o tunnel

OK?

Keith

* do I forget - I own a Lotus
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:13 am

Fuel tank vent pipes go in that sequence somewhere?

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:54 am

Hi,

On my car (1970) there is an L section steel bar instead of the wooden reinforcing strip. I have seen similar on ebay before, so it must be original. As there was no trim in my boot when I brought the car, I made a panel to cover the tank held in place by brackets on the interior wheel arches. This also supports the parcel shelf. with screws into the steel bar.

The result is very solid, and I don't know why it was not done this way originally.

Cheers,

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:36 pm

Great help on rear shelf, just need to come up with those speaker grills and parts--I was hoping it wasn't supposed to look the way mine did and those bolts definitely weighed too much. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:19 pm

davidj wrote:Hi,

On my car (1970) there is an L section steel bar instead of the wooden reinforcing strip. I have seen similar on ebay before, so it must be original. As there was no trim in my boot when I brought the car, I made a panel to cover the tank held in place by brackets on the interior wheel arches. This also supports the parcel shelf. with screws into the steel bar.

The result is very solid, and I don't know why it was not done this way originally.

Cheers,

David

Mine is the same as David's. 1971 Federal Plus 2. For reference, the L shaped angle iron is 1" by 1" by 19" long. It is fastened with pop rivets below the vinyl covering, located 14_3/4" aft of the straight leading edge of the parcel shelf cover (measurement to the piece at right angles to the shelf back). The angle iron gauge is very light, similar to the angle piece on the other side that retains the rear seat backs. There is also a piece of sound proofing felt on the back of the shelf extending in front of the angle iron to the front of the shelf.

The stock speakers are a seemingly unusual size. If you wish to use the stock grilles, would suggest taking the grilles into a shop to match up to the grille speaker mounting holes to avoid disappointment; might be a bit of a compromise on sizing using readily available replacement speakers. The 6x8 / 5x7's I purchased did not fit easily using the stock grilles, but with a bit of fettling I got them in place today, although they are a bit larger than the stock hole.

From the rust stains on my shelf, seven clips are used along the curved rear edge of the shelf. Although not shown clearly in the illustration, they appear to be as follows in the parts book:

A36_B_540, "Slip, shelf support", qty 7

Keith, for your activity list, note the shelf can be removed prior to the glass. Assume it can just be pushed back into place with the glass already installed and clips in place (assembly reverse of removal :roll: ). Glad for this thread though, as I expect I would have forgotten the clips when the body shop re-installs the glass in the next few weeks!

In addition to the fuel vents, don't forget to place the front courtesy light wiring prior to installing headliner (ground black, hot at all times fused purple, and switched to ground purple white). Also might want to consider some upgrade sound deadening behind the headliner if you do not have a sunroof; there is some info on a similar upgrade to the Europa that I read; Golden Gate Club site IIRC.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: