Converting a +2S to Spyder chassis with a Zetec

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:00 am

Well, John, it?s all about seeing where the thread is going, and preparing for your inevitable reaction of relating many things back to Austin?s of the 1950s.

I knew where this was going as soon as Andy mentioned risk assessment. As you know, the first recorded risk assessment was made whilst the Deva to Segontium road (Chester to Cearnarfon as currently known) was being constructed in around 220 AD by the Romans. Co-incidentally, it was on this same stretch of road in the 1930s, whilst constructing the Conway tunnel, that the first major ecological risk assessment was made. This was due to the importance of local estuary fishing and the implications of the heavy metal deposits caused by making the tunnel.

I knew that your certain knowledge of these two historically significant events would lead inexorably to you looking at the current map of these locations and routes, and determining that this is, of course, the route that is now followed by the A55 trunk road from Chester to Holyhead. That was, I felt, sufficient for you to lapse subconsciously into one of your well known tirades about 1950s Austins.

Relating that to the Middlesbrough Constabulary and their propensity for selecting the 6 cylinder Austin was really just an informed guess.

How Gary does it I just don't know.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:47 am

Well I don't know how or what I do, so I can't see how its done either. As far as these "engine swaps" are concerned, I don't think the car knows what engine or gearbox is there propelling the vehicle. When Colin did his preliminary drawings for his latest project, there was always a box drawn for the engine, he probably didn't know or care what it was. There are quite a few engines out today that would make a lovely swap for the Twin Cam IF you didn't have one to start with. This used to be very common with Plus2's from days gone by. What engines today would make a good match for the Plus2, I don't think there are many bad choices today, the Zetec is a fair choice if you were going to make it work with the existing gearbox as it nearly bolt right up. Once you start to talk engine and box well the zetec falls right of my list and a duratec, S2000, toyota 4age or the new 2zz-ge and so on float to the top...
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:59 am

Elanintheforest wrote:Well, John, it?s all about seeing where the thread is going, and preparing for your inevitable reaction of relating many things back to Austin?s of the 1950s.

I knew where this was going as soon as Andy mentioned risk assessment. As you know, the first recorded risk assessment was made whilst the Deva to Segontium road (Chester to Cearnarfon as currently known) was being constructed in around 220 AD by the Romans. Co-incidentally, it was on this same stretch of road in the 1930s, whilst constructing the Conway tunnel, that the first major ecological risk assessment was made. This was due to the importance of local estuary fishing and the implications of the heavy metal deposits caused by making the tunnel.

I knew that your certain knowledge of these two historically significant events would lead inexorably to you looking at the current map of these locations and routes, and determining that this is, of course, the route that is now followed by the A55 trunk road from Chester to Holyhead. That was, I felt, sufficient for you to lapse subconsciously into one of your well known tirades about 1950s Austins.

Relating that to the Middlesbrough Constabulary and their propensity for selecting the 6 cylinder Austin was really just an informed guess.

How Gary does it I just don't know.

Mark

Well errm yes my thoughts were tending to drift in that general direction but the final link to the A55 road was a point which I had not arrived at. Sorry I'll try to keep up :lol: :lol: :lol:
But that aside, you put that all down most entertainingly & with a high degree of expertise; very much in the style of one of my favourite reads; Bob Craske (Linegeist) of Anglesey :wink:

Back on to Topic a bit:-
I understand that in GB it is now illegal for anybody do work on household electricity or gas installations.
CORGI registered is the term I think.
Once you've got that piece of paper you are considered "fully qualified" & you're permitted to check for gas leaks with a lighter. :roll: :roll:
Yup the law's an a55

And back to Zetecs & indemnity. I wrote a full description of all of the modifications that I made to my Elan & my Insurance company had a copy of that when I applied for insurance with them.
Any attempt to hide such imformation will surely make any insurance invalid.

Must get on with fitting the new fridge now or I won't have any cold beer for the Weekend.
My biggest problem at the moment!! Life's good 'inniit :D

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:47 am

Sorry to be pedantic, but the Corgi registration scheme has come to an end and been replaced with 'Gas Safe' - http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Just ask a gas fitter how pleased he is with the new scheme........

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:37 pm

Dear Mr Spinney

If you browse through the many old threads here, you may find,as I have that there is a lot of fear and paranoia amongst several twin cam owners about putting their foot down for long periods and revving past 4k. There is no such worry from zetec owners. But when someone starts an argument about whether the zetec is better than the twin cam, another significant number of twin cam owners defend the reliability of it.....or should we check the names on the old posts to see if they are actually the same people!

The admissions are there and there are several and they are often in totally unrelated threads, usually when the conversation has deviated a bit - out pops a confession.

And for that reason, I'm out. Zetec all the way.

Rich
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:29 pm

Richard i have a twincam in my plus 2 it was meant to be so! My modern car has a modern engine it will obviously leave my old car,yours to id imagine ,standing..however id still far rather drive my twincam.If you want modern performance drive a modern car..

Ian
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:00 pm

I've got a modern car too, a Vectra. I was thinking of honouring my spare twin cam engine by shoving it in that and just taking it out for a gentle spin on dry Sundays. It's a future classic, surely?
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:21 pm

Surely not....
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: