S4 DHC Carpets

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:56 am

Hi All,
Have searched and can't find the exact answer I want. I have just started cutting carpet, but am not 100% sure of the correct carpet configuration. I do not have the old carpets, they either went into the bin, about 20 years ago, or were lost in transit. Not sure which.
1: Is the carpet along the side of the transmission tunnel, one piece or two (each side)?
2: Is the carpet on the floor in three pieces, forward under feet (bound and not glued), centre under seats (bound and not glued) and a small triangular piece glued to the slope behind the seat or is it in two pieces, forward under feet (bound and not glued) and a piece under the seat that extends all of the way to the slope that includes the triangular piece.
I am using a good quality loop pile carpet that is a reproduction of the carpet used in Australian made cars in the 60's and 70's.
Thanks,
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi Colin,
I don't know if mine is typical but the carpet on the sides of the tunnel was in two pieces each side with the join at the point where the taper section joins the parallel bit. I've laid them out touching on the attached pic so it looks like one piece but it is two. I can't see why it couldn't be in one piece though it might just have been an economical way of cutting the carpet. There are just 2 parts on the floor each side, a bound mat at the front under your feet which clips onto 4 studs and the rest is all one piece which is glued down over thick felt. There is also felt and carpet on the bulkhead.
Hope this helps. Best regards,
Attachments
Carpets 004.jpg and
Carpets 001.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:40 pm

I bought my set from Sue Miller. She supplied a sketch showing the arrangement of all of the various pieces.
Sue is a really nice lady and if you ask her nicely (and explain that you are half way round the world) then she will probably email or post you a copy.
I may still have mine somewhere, but I have moved house since I fitted mine and goodness knows wher it will be!
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:03 am

Roger,
Thanks very much, just what I am looking for. I was having trouble working out what went where from the parts manual as some misnaming was causing confusion.
One more question: Did you find any felt behind the second piece of carpet on the tunnel? In other words, does the plastic, centre console push down over just carpet or over felt and carpet? Looks to me in the parts book that there isn't any felt in this position.
Thanks again,
Colin.

oldelanman wrote:Hi Colin,
I don't know if mine is typical but the carpet on the sides of the tunnel was in two pieces each side with the join at the point where the taper section joins the parallel bit. I've laid them out touching on the attached pic so it looks like one piece but it is two. I can't see why it couldn't be in one piece though it might just have been an economical way of cutting the carpet. There are just 2 parts on the floor each side, a bound mat at the front under your feet which clips onto 4 studs and the rest is all one piece which is glued down over thick felt. There is also felt and carpet on the bulkhead.
Hope this helps. Best regards,
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:43 am

Hi Colin,
There was no felt on the sides of the parallel part of the tunnel and as you say the centre console covers the top edge of the carpet. At the rear end over the diff area there was a "saddle" of felt covering top and sides. Also worth noting there was no felt under the floor carpet where it goes over the seat mounting ribbed section of the floor, the floor felt was just a rectangular pad on the flat area under the seat, a shaped piece in the footwell and a triangular piece on the rear slope. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Attachments
Body refurb 001.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:37 pm

Hello folks,
Colin, the instructions you need are in the parts manual. Susan uses these and would send you a copy. She also has a good instuction sheet.

Here are the illustrations... Susan also markes all the cut pcs the same as these. Easy to see which is which.The instructions tell you where to start what to fit 1st etc etc..

Hope the pics help.1st one is the carpet... 2nd one is felt.

Alex B....
Attachments
felt and carpet instructions 002 [640x480].JPG and
these are the carpets
felt and carpet instructions 001.JPG and
& felts
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: