Help!, big license plate on the front! how do I fit it?

PostPost by: thor » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:34 pm

As I've just got my new +2S/130 here to Norway, I have a problem. I've now got a big new license plate to fit on the front, instead of the lovely letters in the grill.
Any good ideas on brackets here is MUCH appreciated, and how on earth to get my hands in anywhere to fix them!?

I would greatly appreciate not having to drill lots of unsightly holes in the fibreglass.

?

Thor
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:21 am

Greetings from Ohio, USA. We too have front license plates. Many years ago I mounted mine down below the air intake, almost parallel to the ground. Our law states that a front plate must be "displayed" and I find pleasure in translating that term loosely. ( I even kept my front plate in the map/glovebox of an Opel Manta, always facing towards the front, that too, decades ago.) I've never been pulled over for ignoring this nuance of a law, how seriously do your police take this rule on an attractive collector sports car? I suggest getting creative, no matter where you put one it's going to look worse than no plate...(except down there as a skidplate) ....just don't get caught speeding, good luck, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:41 am

Thor
Does it have to be the actual licence plate or can you replicate it in stick-on vinyl letters/numbers? If so just paste them on the front above the bumper.
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:49 am

I did the sticky solution a few years back on a GT6, but a friend of mine got in trouble with a spitfire for the same....
Guess I'll have to make some little brackets.
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:35 pm

Thor,

I have a 10" x 2 1/2" motorcycle sized number plate attached to the grill for many years now.

Never had any comment from any law enforcement anywhere in Europe.

You can always tell them it complied with the regulations current in the year of manufacture, few of them will remember that far back !

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:44 pm

Sean
Would you not have better airflow with the original numbers/letters fixed to the grill?
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:56 pm

John,

The short answer to your question is yes, the 10 x 2.5 number plate will obstruct the airflow through the grill more compared to the "solid" figures.

However, with a full width radiator and twin 10" kenlow fans I have been able to do all the alpine passes and the afternoon traffic in Milan with the water temp never moving into the red, as it used to do with the original rad and puny electric fan. I also have a 13 row oil cooler fitted. So it seems there is still more than enough airflow coming through ther grill to serve all its purposes

Best wishes,

Sean
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: