Early Plus 2 Door Furniture

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:19 am

A while back we were having a bash about the differences beween early and later Plus 2 models, and someone suggested that the interior door handles for the early car were from a Vauxhall Viva HA...and they were absolutely right. I've seen a couple of pictures now of Viva interior shots, and there they are...and there are a couple for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Viva-HA- ... 286.c0.m14

A couple of mysterys still on the early Plus 2 door stuff. Does anybody know from what source the door catch / latch came, or the door opening mechanism (that the interior handle attaches to)?

Mark
Attachments
z early Plus 2 catch.jpg and
zearly plus 2 latch.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:28 pm

I do not know for definite, but the outside door handles and striker plates have an air of BMC/Austin 1100 about them.. Someone has some NOS striker plates (your first picture) which come up on ebay from time to time. I bought a set and they were as described and a perfect fit. The chrome plates are more problematical! I collected 2 new items for my rebuild over the years, but I have no idea what they are from. Perhaps a visit to Gaydon museum is in order...

What are you finding most difficult to get hold of?

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi Jeremy
I think that I may just have found out what they are from...and Gaydon wouldn't have helped! Following on from the Viva internal handle, I've been hunting for pictures....it's probably not too suprising that there aren't too many pictures of Viva HA 'B' posts or door edges. But there is a Viva for sale on eBay currently, and sneaking into the bottom corner of the picture is the striker plate...looks pretty good to me. So I guess that the bit on the door (what is that called?!) is also Viva...maybe? And possibly the internal door opening mechanism as well?

So, calling all early Plus 2 owners. Next time you see a Viva at a show, in the street or in somebody's garage, take a picture of the striker and the (bit on the door)! And if the owner isn't looking, just pop the door card off and photograph the internal door lock actuator mechanism as well!

I don't think that I'm missing anything in this area Jeremy. It was just an unknown that needed to be known! I'm restoring chassis 32, and have recently bought chassis 24 (which is up and running but with lousy paint) and have been buying up 'remnants' of early Plus 2 cars over the past couple of years...probably have enough for a third car! I do like the early car...you may have gathered!

Mark
Attachments
Viva Door Catch.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:07 pm

I also bought a pair of those NOS striker plates fro ebay and have been trying to figure out what they where from to locate the other half of the catch, will keep an eye out for a Viva....

Cheers
Jon
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:13 pm

No doubt, check out ebay for Viva HAs.. One van with the striker plate visible, and a pair of door lock mechanisms which look very familiar. I will dig out my NOS and compare - the ones in my rebuild were in good shape & I didn't have the heart to use NOS.

Jeremy
PS my +2 is quite a bit later - no. 328
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: blackandgold » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:26 am

HA Viva door parts very interesting I co-owned one of these in the early 80's with a friend

It was set up for dirt track racing with a 302 chev engine mounted between the chassis
rails a muncie gearbox and four link westminster locked diff, we actually registered the car and
drove it on the road it was a bit of a handfull to drive but alot of fun, the engine would rev to
8000 RPM and very fast up to 120 MPH

As far as getting some pictures of the door latchs it might be worth asking on this forum

http://www.vauxhallviva.com/vivaforum/
Mark

1973 +2 S130 with BDA
blackandgold
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: