Spyder Chassis Upper Removeable Brace

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi, my Spyder Chassis was fitted with an upper removeable brace (fits across top chassis members beneath dashboard area).

I found that in order to remove the engine and gearbox (Zetec - MT75) that it had to be removed first. This was because the engine needs to tilt slightly upwards, then forwards, then drop gearbox, in order for it all to go in or out.

The crux of the operation seemed to be acessing the two screw heads that secure the removeable upper brace to the chassis. For those of you not familiar with the brace, it's very similar to the lower removeable Spyder chassis brace, and sits on conical mounts.

Has anyone got a smart way of removing the brace with the engine in situ.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kstrutt11 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:56 am

I have a similar problem with removing the type 9 gearbox in my standard chasis, to remove this I simply split the engine and gearbox and remove seperatley.

Kevin
kstrutt11
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:17 pm

Kevin, thanks for reply. Part of the reason for my "problem" is that the sump only has about 20mm clearance forward to the chassis front X-member. This would be insufficient to disengage gearbox from engine. Pretty tight all round. I can increase longitudinal room by tilting from of engine upwards, but to do this need to remove the x-brace beneath dashboard. This quickly becomes a circular problem. I know that when Spyder build their cars they drop the engine/gearbox into the chassis, then the removeable x-brace then the body.

Has anybody with a Zetec had cause to remove their engine.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Remove the sump? A pain, but surely better than removing the body.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks all so far. Paddy, sump cannot be removed in situ as the front flange (of the sump) jams against the front X-member.

I take it that no one with a Spyder fitted Zetec/MT75 has in fact had cause to remove engine/gearbox with the removeable x-brace in position. Or else they have first removed the body!!!

I'll try extending the brace vertically (via welded thick walled tubes) so there's a more feasible spanner angle. A ratchetting ring spanner might just make it.

Good to check other items for serviceability as well. Fuel pipe connections where the emerge from the top of the tunnel?
(again, all built up with the body off)

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: