Sill member drawing

PostPost by: malc_grn » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi everyone

Just got myself a new project, a 1968 Elan +2 to fully restore, I pick it up Thursday so will post some pics.
It's in a bad way but I have a few restorations under my belt including a Marcos, Lotus Esprit, TVR Cerbera and a few more boring ones! so I am looking forward to the challange, + it was cheap!

Anyway I digress, it will obviously require new sill members, does anyone have pictures / drawings with dimensions of the sills? I'm sure I have seen some on a car that look to be made up of metal tube rather than a formed section, is this correct?
I am asking as I have a good friend who is a stainless Steal fabricator and would like to make them up myself in stainless.

I'm sure I will have lot's more Q's along the way!

Regards

Mal
malc_grn
New-tral

PostPost by: mikealdren » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:20 am

Mal,
great to see another being retored instead of broken. The sill members are quite cheap and readily available in both standard and Spyder forms, I think I've also heard of a someone producing a stainless version.

I wouldn't bother making your own, by the time you pick the right thickness of steel etc, it will probably cost a lot more to make you own and galavanised sills last well. You'll have lots to do elsewhere...........

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:39 am

Mike

I don't think you understood...."I am asking as I have a good friend who is a stainless Steal fabricator and would like to make them up myself in stainless."....probably means free,which sounds good to me...

John :wink:

P.S. there are lots of places where stainless would benefit the car...
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: malc_grn » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:14 am

You're right John

A few beers would see him right!

Hence I would love to get my hands on dimensions and pics

Mal
malc_grn
New-tral

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 am

Hi

Yes the tube members are from Spyder about ?200 + Vat a pair, sorry I do not have the dims.

See link below you can see the member poking out at the bottom of the page.

http://www.haverstad.net/cars/elan/

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:45 pm

I haven't fitted the end plates on my +2 yet, so can measure dimensions if of interest - the diameter of the tube and positions of the flat plates. Mine are galvanised and came with the car, I had to drill the holes in the bottom of the sill myself, so I bet every car is slightly different. I'd be interested in other ss parts that you have made up in the future.

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: malc_grn » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Sean

That would be fantastic if it's not too much trouble.

Mal
malc_grn
New-tral

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:48 am

I bought galvanized ones from Paul Matty and I'm pretty sure when I laid them out they had a slight bow to them--they fit perfectly and all the original holes and plates lined up great--you might do well to "borrow" a set to match rather than try from measurements. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david m cross » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:31 pm

Mal,
My +2 is all in pieces now and i have just removed the long galvanised sills, so I can repair the GRP sills. I can measure if you still need info , and i would suggest that you renew all the seat belt pickup points. All mine were rotten, so I now will be making new ones. It's your life !
david m cross
New-tral

PostPost by: malc_grn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks David

I've stripped out what was left of the old ones and along with pics, and measuring the body, my mate is making up a stainless steel sill in the same profile as originals, once done I will put into sill and then mark all the holes for the plates so they are accurate, remove sill again then have s/s nuts welded on.

Yes all the plates and seat belt mounts will be remade in s/s as well.

I'll post a pic of the sill once completed, and if anyone likes what they see I'm sure more could be made.

Regards
Mal
malc_grn
New-tral

PostPost by: david m cross » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:19 pm

Malc,
Take care with the hole drilling. When I removed my sills the holes were not at the factory positions, so the GRP floor had been ground away cutting right thru and leaving holes to fill in. I'm thinking of making an outter capping strip with the bolts welded on and heads ground off, painted black, that way bolt heads ( studs really )are invisible andjust nuts on the inside to hide.
David
david m cross
New-tral

PostPost by: alaric » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:40 pm

Sorry I didn't get round to making those measurements for Mal. Completely forgot. Hope the sills you're having made work well.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: