Uroglas heated front screen

PostPost by: moonlander » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi All

As a winter project I was thinking of fitting a heated front screen to the old plus 2, should make the winter commute easier. :)

But was wondering how easy it would be to wire up, and how well the Uroglas screen fits?

Graham

Elan plus 2 130/5
Graham

plus2 130/5 ......but sometimes only 4
moonlander
New-tral

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:19 pm

Graham

I don't know how easily the Uroglas screem will fit, but (given you've got a S130/5 that I presume has a bonded windscreen) I'd check on the availability of the screen trim before taking the old screen out - assuming that it's still in the car. See the other recent posts on this - I think the only source at the moment is Dave Bean in the USA.

Craig
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Heated fronts screens are brilliant! I thought they were a gimmick until I got them on my Ford Mundano, but... they pull a huge current, upwards of 20 amps which is why even on a modern motor, they are on a timed latch switch. Press the button and they will only stay on for about 5 minutes. I would be more interested in a 'proper' heated rear! Mine has lost half the elements (they seem pretty fragile) and was poor to start with.. Anyone for a bulk order of heated +2 rear screens with modern elements?

Graham, good heads up for the manufacturer - http://www.uroglas.com/heated.html

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:42 pm

Uroglas do indeed have both front and rear heated screens in stock, only in Sundym (but this is a pale tint). They are laminated with the elements in the middle layer so draw a hefty current 15-20amps, but on the plus side you can clean the windows without worrying about damaging the elements. The only downside is the dark band at the edge of the screen and the need for a good alternator. I am going to fit one and see if I can live with it....

Prices - 220GBP for the rear and 190 for the front, plus tax.

So now you know where to go!

Jeremy
Attachments
Heated Rear Screen.jpg and
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:30 pm

He Jeremy,
Do you know whether the front screens the later bonded type?

regards
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:45 pm

Sorry, I didn't ask that. I suggest a quick email to them (from the website contact details). They replied within a couple of hours to my enquiry during the day. Very helpful outfit..

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: moonlander » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the information.
My current front screen is a bonded in type with a black band around the outside, the trim is plane black and I presume is not the standard Lotus part.
I did not realise that Uroglas did the rear screen with the elements in between the glass, as my current rear screen only has one line working, I think I will add a new rear screen to the Winter project list as well.

Graham
Graham

moonlander
New-tral

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:35 am

I have splashed out on a rear screen.. Pukka job, apart from two minor issues - the black border which will be only half covered by the screen seal, and the connection cables which exit from the edge of the screen and may be a source of leaks. These are very minor issues which I will happily live with if the screen lives up to its promise. The wavy elements are vertical and spaced about a quarter of an inch apart in the laminate layer. After I got the screen home, I nearly took it back because I couldn't see the elements - very unobtrusive.

Quality looks good and a chat with the supplier assured me that the front screen has the same dimensions whether bonded type or not. I do not know enough to verify this... Further discussions about fronts have produced the snippet that there are two types, both with the same external dimensions, so are interchangeable, but having a different curvature on the face. The earlier screens have a more pronounced curve over the whole face of the screen, but later ones are flatter (makes the wipers work better). Early screens (used for development) are almost impossible to find, so for all intents there is only the one type for all +2s.

This info is second hand, but does originate from a conversation (not me) with the designer of the +2, Ron Hickman. I would welcome any feedback or corroboration of this..

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: moonlander » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi Jeremy

Do you know what current the new rear screen draws?
I was thinking of fitting a relay into the circuit as my HRW switch looks a bit fried.
Would be interested to know how you get on fitting the screen.
Graham

moonlander
New-tral

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:56 pm

I had previously fitted a relay in the boot, so the current came straight from the battery and a local earth. This will be incorporated into the new arrangement. The guys from Uroglas stated 'around 15-20 amps', but until I can measure I can't say.

Car goes to the trimmer next week so not long now...

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:08 am

Uroglass rear screen has now been fitted. Heater element wires have not been a problem with the screen seal. The wide dark band at the edge of the screen is quite obvious and may be a problem for some. One bonus is that the band hides the awkward gap between the body and the rear quarter trim - always a scrappy area. Photo shows the elements, caught by the flash.

Jeremy
Attachments
rear screen 1.jpg and
rear screen 2.jpg and
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: barefoot » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Now sold and sorely missed but here are a couple of pics with my HRW that was such a bonus compared to without.

barefoot
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: